Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connection woes - Please! Helpa meh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connection woes - Please! Helpa meh!

I'm at my wits end...

I've not had proper internet access since the very start of December when a simple 'Send me some details of your offers' was misconstrued as 'Please contact my existing broadband provider, get a migration code, cut of my service then hold me to ransom with no service, ridiculous costs and refuse to give me a migration code so I can return to the ISP I was quite happy with'. Great. After all sorts of crazy stuff involving lawyers I finally got broadband again yesterday.

Hurrah! I can DM again. I ████ing wish.

It doesn't 'king work.

So far I've disabled the firewall on the horrid little Technicolor TG582n modem and set up port forwarding rules for ports 5120-5300, 6500, 6667, 27900, 28900.

That did ████ all.

Telneted onto the router, bound GAME(UDP) to 5120-5300, 6500, 6667. It doesn't let me bind 27900 or 28900.

That's let me see some servers in my history panel, but connecting to them is hit and miss. Mostly miss.

I'm at a loss. I hope there are people who know more about this sort of crazy stuff than me who might be able to help, because at the moment I'm looking at a future without getting on Sundren

I wanna DM again dammnit!
    It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
    Sydney Smith.

I am not certain if this is helpful, I can only assume that it may be the same issue as NwN1 used to have, manually altering the MAC address sometimes fixed the issue in one case I called my ISP and had them reset my IP but really that is all I can think of right now. I do hope it can be resolved for you very soon Doubt... or perhaps someone who understands what your problem is more specifically can help.
    Ghal Narish, Battle-Mage
    Faucon De'Ombre
    , Triadic Knight

Ulriel Gabrieth, Devout of Lathander
    Noril De'nor, Archer ...
    Liem Ashcroft, Miner, Smith, and Weaponsmaster

Comment

I'm willing to give anything a go...

The MAC address to change, should it be the pc's or the routers?

I don't expect any help from the isp, they're possibly one of the worst companies I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.
      It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
      Sydney Smith.

Comment

Sounds more like line quality issues as opposed to routing issues. I have yet to see a non-corporate router/firewall block outbound connections so really you shouldn't have to open any ports.

I would go to someplace like dslreports.com and do some line quality tests.
        The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

it would be the computers if it is the same issue as NwN1 had, but I haven't seen it yet in NwN2 so I think Saulus is probably more in line with the suggestion to check and see if you are getting the service you are paying for.
          Ghal Narish, Battle-Mage
          Faucon De'Ombre
          , Triadic Knight

Ulriel Gabrieth, Devout of Lathander
          Noril De'nor, Archer ...
          Liem Ashcroft, Miner, Smith, and Weaponsmaster

Comment

Le sigh.

After running the tests a few times DSL reports says everything's good, with the caveat that there's something at this end is blocking ping attempts so there are a few hops with 100% loss (though the page still reports success overall).

Some games function absolutely fine; I've a nice stable 40-50 ping for European B3 servers. It's just NWN2 that seems borked!
            Sydney Smith.

Comment

Might sound silly and be a pain but try re-installing NWN2 if its the only thing with issues?

Comment

Good suggestion!

Don't have the disks so not an option, BUT! created a fresh windows 7 user account and it runs and connects fine from there. Now I just need to figure out why it doesn't work on this one.

But at least I have connectivity again!

/dance
                Sydney Smith.

Comment

Another thing if you havent tried it, try running the game as admin?

Comment

Tried that, doesn't make any difference.

It seems to be a combination of the router ports and my main user account - Other users on this pc can get on, just this one can't. If I remove the GAME(UDP) bindings I put on the router then no-one can get on.

Aaah. Technology.

It's a pain having to use a separate user to DM, but at least I can DM again! Roll on Sunday!
                    Sydney Smith.

Comment

Is it a windows 7 system? Perhaps it's the Windows Firewall that's the problem, not the router's.
                      Annaleen Wiltenholm-There's always something to smile about.
                      Chani Kalera- Intimidation is the new diplomacy. *looms*
                      Eleanor "Bloody Elle" Lark - Why is the rum always gone?
                      Yolanda Brown - If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. But unless life also gives you water and sugar, your lemonade is going to suck.
                      Astrid Hammerhand - Och!

Comment

Originally posted by Doubtful View Post
                        Good suggestion!

Don't have the disks so not an option, BUT! created a fresh windows 7 user account and it runs and connects fine from there. Now I just need to figure out why it doesn't work on this one.

But at least I have connectivity again!

/dance
                        I danced to soon.

As far as I can tell it's either the router or the ISP that's causing the problem.

Fresh user accounts may or may not function for as long as a few minutes, but the connection stability is atrocious. The few times I've managed to get in-game have resulted in massive lag spikes or my connection simply being lost.

I don't have my disks, so a complete reinstall isn't an option although next time I'm in the UK I'll pick them up again. Sadly a new router, or even a new copy of the game, is way out of my price range.

Frustratingly everything works perfectly through mobile tethering, but that's to expensive to even contemplate doing.

I'm really stuck with this, it's very, very annoying.
                        Sydney Smith.

Comment

Working...
                        X