Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Old games Discussion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doubtful View Post
    We're after cool games here, not a demonstration of age.

You loose :x

;p
    Originally posted by a wise, not old, person
    I ~always~ come back to it.
    So, what's YOUR definition of "cool" ?

Also:
    Annaleen Wiltenholm-There's always something to smile about.
    Chani Kalera- Intimidation is the new diplomacy. *looms*
    Eleanor "Bloody Elle" Lark - Why is the rum always gone?
    Yolanda Brown - If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. But unless life also gives you water and sugar, your lemonade is going to suck.
    Astrid Hammerhand - Och!

Comment

Eye of the Beholder was awesome.. Early 1990's wast it?
      Danté Swift: Archmagus and Marshal of Sestra.

Comment

Originally posted by FoogooFish View Post
        Secret of Mana
        Alundra
        OMG Your so cool! I could kiss you for saying those two names in the same thread.
        Originally posted by roguethree
        If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

Secret of Mana isn't "old" to me. SNES isn't so far gone, is it?

But that's fine:

Dragon Warrior
          Originally posted by Cornuto
          Glad everyone's being extra fucking ridiculous today.

Comment

Originally posted by roguethree View Post
            Secret of Mana isn't "old" to me. SNES isn't so far gone, is it?

But that's fine:

Dragon Warrior
            Its eighteen years old now. And yes, your children have grown up and fled the nest.
            Originally posted by roguethree
            If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

I feel old knowing that Secret of Mana is eighteen years old now.

Comment

Planescape: Torment

The only true RPG ever made ....
                Gimghair Ironwall - To strike an Ironwall is to strike an anvil. You are more likely to re-shape your weapon than to move him… and heavens forbid one lands on you

Comment

Solitare...
                  "Half the lies they tell about me aren't true."
                  Yogi Berra

Learn things:http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
                  http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Comment

Loved my Amiga. So many brilliant old games I loved playing. Frontier(Elite 2) was a particular favourite. Cinemaware games were good too: Wings, Defenders of the Crown.

Comment

I don't know if we can really classify this game as "old" yet, but.

FREESPACE 2.

Best space flight sim I've ever played (Wing Commander included).
                      Selanus Raleigh - Thief; Manipulator; Information gatherer; devout worshipper of Mask.

01/04/2012

Comment

I still keep my Secret of Mana Official Game Secrets book on my desk. It is probably my all-time favorite game ever.... I did not however realize it was that old, and therefore didn't post before now because I hadn't read the whole thread, apparently.

Also:
                        Chrono Trigger
                        Illusion of Gaia

That is all.
                        Last edited by Tamha; 01-14-2012, 09:11 AM. Reason: typo
                        Presea De'Ombre - Fist of the Broken
                        Darcy Lothara - Lost Soul
                        Miyu Suhayl - Defender of Beauty
                        Bryna Ulric - Dark Priestess
                        Merry Swiftblade - Swashbuckling Tailor

Comment

Funny, I'm actually doing a play through of SoM right now, just about to return the fire seed. And yeah, I have my hint book on a shelf nearby even though I don't really need it. Interested in trying the translated version of the third one I keep hearing about.

Freespace 2 is pretty interesting looking, I haven't played it yet, as I haven't really found myself the time, but I bought it off GoG like a week ago or so.

While it's not an old game, I've been playing a fair bit of Tribes: Ascent lately. Not old by any means, hell it's in Beta and isn't even out yet, but I'm enjoying that nostalgic sense of "Awesome" I haven't had since FPS's stopped being good.

Lastly I've grabbed a PSX emulator not long back so I could replay the King's Field games, I think they might actually be From software's earliest works though I'm not certain. At any rate they're solid fun though still challenging. I never passed the first one so I'm focusing on that one.

All in all, I'm having a pretty good time with old games and I actually wish more developers would take a look at some of them for inspiration rather than drawing on the latest successful block buster shovel ware title. On the bright side of things, with Tribes: Ascent at least, things seem to be going that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted-Indoctrine View Post
                            Freespace 2 is pretty interesting looking, I haven't played it yet, as I haven't really found myself the time, but I bought it off GoG like a week ago or so.
                            I'm glad you haven't started playing it yet!

Freespace 2 had its source code opened up a few years back before Interplay died. The community has done some really AMAZING things in something called the "Open Source Code Project," or OSCP for short. The goal of the project was to make the game look prettier, since its graphics were beginning to become a little dated. It's free, and I'd highly recommend looking into it.

I was trying to find some videos of gameplay comparing the two, but I've been unsuccessful. In their stead, I will post a screenshot. The top row are some ship models from the original game, and the bottom are from the OSCP.

And another joy from the OSCP:

Selanus Raleigh - Thief; Manipulator; Information gatherer; devout worshipper of Mask.

01/04/2012

Comment

Man, I used to love Freespace so hard..

The arrival of the big bads in the first game still sticks in my minds as one of thew best done 'ohshitohshitohshit' moments of videogaming.

Freespace 2 took that and built on it, the beam weapons were great. I might have to find my disks and take a look at the OSCP.
                              It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
                              Sydney Smith.

Comment

Does anyone remember that old first person shooter Steam game, where you would throw TRON style frisbees at each other in the hopes of decaptiating them?
                                Originally posted by ThePaganKing
                                So the roguethree bootlickers strike again.

Comment

Working...
                                X