Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dimension Door: From the Forgotten Realms to Your Doorstep!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimension Door: From the Forgotten Realms to Your Doorstep!

So check this.

Have you ever thought to yourself.. "Hmm.. I wish the dimension door spell was real.. I wonder what it would be like.."

If so, look no further! Today, I stumbled upon a very interesting project designed back in 2008. A brilliant group of men have constructed a wonderful visual representation to tickle your fancies on the topic over at www.spacetimetravel.org. (Disclaimer: This is not the visual representation of the spell per se, merely a computer-generated representation of flight through a wormhole.)

You can find the quicktime movie link here: http://www.spacetimetravel.org/filme...xe-640x480.mpg (Warning: Movie size is 20.1 mb, may take a minute or two to load.)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

"The wormhole shown here connects the place in front of the physics institutes of Tübingen University with the beautiful sand dunes near Boulogne sur Mer in the north of France. For the theoretical astrophysics personnel it is handy for short trips in their lunch hour.

In order to clearly show the properties of the curved space (that itself is invisible), a cubic lattice of 12 yellow rods has been built around the wormhole. The rods follow geodesics, i.e. lines that are as straight as possible. The visible distortions, especially of the rods behind the wormhole, come from light deflection in the curved space.

Eight green rods point radially inwards from the corners of the yellow cube. They approach each other and in flat space they would meet in the middle. In the curved space of the wormhole they do not.

At the throat, the interface between the two universes connected by the wormhole, the diagonal rods meet the corners of a red cube the edges of which are also geodesics. The diagonal rods continue straight-lined into the other universe. There, they move apart and meet the edges of the third, blue cube from the inside. The blue cube has the same size as the yellow one.

The following movie shows a flight from Tübingen to Boulogne sur Mer and back."

More information can be found at the page's direct link above, if you so desire. Just scroll down slightly and look to the right to view this page's entry, labelled "Flight through a wormhole".

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
    "We must not believe the man, who say that only free people ought to be educated, but we should rather believe the philosophers who say the only the educated are free." -Epictetus
Working...
X