Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else sometimes find themselves hating this game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else sometimes find themselves hating this game?

Just thought I'd ask the question after having a stupidly ridiculous run of bad luck.

Thought I'd try to tangle with a couple of Spittlefoot, so I cast mage armour, magic weapon and then at the last moment true strike as I charged the defender.... and rolled a 1, "miss" on my +24 attack attempt :/

Was hit by the defender for half my HP so tried to run and was struck down about 15 strides from transition point.

I had the pleasure of slowly watching the HPs bleed away until, at -9 I got a 20 (yay!) and slowly began to revive. I was even able to quickly chug a health potion before the attack resumed and started running when the auto scripted *fall on back* "You awaken, throbbing in pain from your wounds" fired, allowing the Spittlefist to close up the gap I had opened between us and start attacking while I was prone.

Somehow I was able to tumble my way to the transition point where the Spittlefist landed one final blow as I was waiting on the load, and had the final joy of arriving at the Exigo Camp unconscious and bleeding to death.

No lucky roll this time. I died.

I want a new set of dice.

Ask anyone who's seen my rolls in RP events... seriously a 1 on my True Strike!? (which was incidently also my very first attack attempt since logging on and having been walking and doing deliveries etc for about for 30 mins)

[Thank you for reading my rant. I feel better. And my computer appreciates that it didn't mysteriously launch itself through the window to escape my wrath and tragically land in a shattered mess on the rain soaked driveway.]

LoL, I've been crited nine straight combats in a row while I watched the person I was partied with crit those same nine combats.

Every charachter I've built since the first two have died in their first two attempts to take the Ogre Chief regardless of the size of the group I was in

Once while my chare was slowly bleeding to death a creature the party was fighting disengaged the person beating it to death ran halfway across my screen to hit my char once so he died

I've had a char get crit'd four times in a row to something that only crits on a 20

My wizard had died to a trap that took him to -1 life due to the fact that he was invis and no-one could heal him due to untargetability

...so fyi any "die" rolls you make on your computer are based on your system clock which is managed by your processor chip which if removed from your system can be flung much further that either tower or the more often mistakenly blamed monitor when hurled out of the window
    "Half the lies they tell about me aren't true."
    Yogi Berra

Learn things:http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
    http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Comment

Personally, I believe the spittlefist have loaded die. Just saying.

Comment

Ah yes, the days where I can roll nothing but 1's and the computer does nothing but roll 20's. I usually just log and do something else for a while until my computer karma resets
        Butch: "You know, when I was a kid, I always thought I was gonna grow up to be a hero."
        Sundance: "Well it's to late now."

Toons:
        Mittens Whitepaw (Feral Druid),
        Rose Thimblefoot (Simple Seamstress),
        Melody Mourningsoul (Cursed Bard)
        Katalina Zephyr (Guardian of the Grave)
        Gabrielle Dumoine (the Duchess of Waterdeep... 'onestly...)

Comment

I never roll 1s. You know why? Because I'm awesome.
          I am death, come for thee. Surrender, and thy passage shall be... quicker.

Comment

It's not that you're awesome. DMs only roll 1s when it suits their plans.
            Annaleen Wiltenholm-There's always something to smile about.
            Chani Kalera- Intimidation is the new diplomacy. *looms*
            Eleanor "Bloody Elle" Lark - Why is the rum always gone?
            Yolanda Brown - If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. But unless life also gives you water and sugar, your lemonade is going to suck.
            Astrid Hammerhand - Och!

Comment

Personally, I get pissed off at the game almost every time I log in. I usually have the same rolling luck as you described and just can't shake the feeling of the freakin computer being out to get me.

And with the server pop so low at the moment, it just makes my bad luck mix with boredom so much that I go watch a movie or work on a costume. At least I'm getting some stuff done that I normally put off to the last minute due to playing NWN2 :P
              Ursus Ahrahl: Vengeful Desert Warrior (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ursus_Ahrahl)
              Zaphram Babblerocks: Silly Gnome Tinkerer
              Ronon Darkholme: Eye and ear of the Night Watch of Kelemvor's Eternal Order (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.ph...onon_Darkholme)
              Jakomyn Moriarty: Misunderstood Calishite mage (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Jakomyn_Moriarty)
              Turin Greyhold: Ex-mercenary paladin of Torm (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.ph...reyhold,_Turin)
              Alexandros Pentacost: 1/2 Orc Cleric of the Red Knight
              "Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when

Comment

Be optimistic.

Instead of spending time rolling all those 1's, you could be studying nuclear physics, writing an epic novel, or attaining other amazing feats for that even more important character you play: you.

When the game goes sour, why not trade your virtual XP for the real thing?

Just a thought.
                "We must not believe the man, who say that only free people ought to be educated, but we should rather believe the philosophers who say the only the educated are free." -Epictetus

Comment

It's your fault for playing something besides an EK or FS.

They never roll anything below an 18.
                  "Sir, we're surrounded!" "Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction."

Comment

Thanks for all the replies (and suggested alternative endeavours). At least I know that I'm not alone in my struggles!

For the record I typed the post while waiting for the necessary time to enter the portal, rezed and then logged out and went to read a book for a while before retiring for the night.

Comment

My characters are pretty lucky against npc's. My luck usually goes sour when a particular paladin transitions to where one of my characters are hanging out.

Comment

Super, I'd like you to try a little experiment with me.

Lately, I've been reading about Heisenburg's Uncertainty Principal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_Principal) and I've been wondering if it could be applied to this situation.

If you read the article, you'll see that the uncertainty principal is applied to certain pairs of physical properties, but I'm willing to give it a try on NWN. I've taken my combat roll box and minimized it as much as possible, reducing the visibility of my rolls as much as possible.

The goal? Completely disregard the combat roll box on the screen, thereby (theoretically) reducing the observational measurement of your die rolls, possibly increasing the potential of your rolls and decreasing the potential of enemy rolls.

It may sound crazy, but since I've made my modifications and have been intentionally ignoring my combat rolls, I've done better! In my experience, it seems that the closer I watch my combat rolls when under attack, the worse I do. I do not claim a correlation between the two, only a very interesting observation.

Try it and see if it works. There's nothing to lose!
                        "We must not believe the man, who say that only free people ought to be educated, but we should rather believe the philosophers who say the only the educated are free." -Epictetus

Comment

i hate it when your invisible and the foe runs past and the computer makes an auto attack of opp. of something big. You then get pummeled and die.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucidity View Post
                            Super, I'd like you to try a little experiment with me.

Lately, I've been reading about Heisenburg's Uncertainty Principal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_Principal) and I've been wondering if it could be applied to this situation.

If you read the article, you'll see that the uncertainty principal is applied to certain pairs of physical properties, but I'm willing to give it a try on NWN. I've taken my combat roll box and minimized it as much as possible, reducing the visibility of my rolls as much as possible.

The goal? Completely disregard the combat roll box on the screen, thereby (theoretically) reducing the observational measurement of your die rolls, possibly increasing the potential of your rolls and decreasing the potential of enemy rolls.

It may sound crazy, but since I've made my modifications and have been intentionally ignoring my combat rolls, I've done better! In my experience, it seems that the closer I watch my combat rolls when under attack, the worse I do. I do not claim a correlation between the two, only a very interesting observation.

Try it and see if it works. There's nothing to lose!
                            yep that says it all for me.

I think that perhaps its a bit like the reverse of the old adage about gambling - "you only hear about the wins".

Comment

Originally posted by Shedboy View Post
                              yep that says it all for me.
                              "A rigorous proof of a new inequality for simultaneous measurements in the spirit of Heisenberg and Bohr has been given recently. The measurement process is as follows: Whenever a particle is localized in a finite interval Δx > 0, then the standard deviation of its momentum satisfies while the equal sign is given for Cosine states."

That's the one you were speaking of?

Comment

Working...
                              X