Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On Thayan Knights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Thayan Knights

I was helping out a friend with a build when he expressed interest in making a Thayan Knight. I read through the Lords of Darkness and the Unapproachable East to understand what is typically allowed and disallowed, and though I couldn't find it, I remember someone mentioning that Thayan Knights are not allowed to be arcanists/casters. Is this true, and if so, what is its source?

It's important, because I was thinking of telling him to make a Fighter/Wizard/EK/TK build.
    Ramza Xantheus "...for a meager fee, of course."

"
    Heroes need the weak to feel important. I say, teach the weak the skills they need to live on their own, to protect themselves and break free of the chains of charity and victimization. The Triad needs people to protect. I need people to succeed." -Byrun von Hellstrom

My instincts are to tell you no, and then resent you for asking.

... but I'll look it up.
    Originally posted by Saulus
    Stop playing other shitty MMOs and work on Sundren, asshole.

Comment

What I was told when I took a caster level with Ursus: No caster levels or you get spanked by the actual Red Wizards and horribly killed over and over. Direct from Saulus on that one (with some of my own over dramatizing to make it more dire ).

Ursus is now a caster-free toon :P
      Ursus Ahrahl: Vengeful Desert Warrior (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ursus_Ahrahl)
      Zaphram Babblerocks: Silly Gnome Tinkerer
      Ronon Darkholme: Eye and ear of the Night Watch of Kelemvor's Eternal Order (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.ph...onon_Darkholme)
      Jakomyn Moriarty: Misunderstood Calishite mage (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Jakomyn_Moriarty)
      Turin Greyhold: Ex-mercenary paladin of Torm (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.ph...reyhold,_Turin)
      Alexandros Pentacost: 1/2 Orc Cleric of the Red Knight
      "Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when

Comment

Looks like its fighter monk or ranger.

Your wussy wizard/fighter need not apply.

Comment

Originally posted by DM Cornuto View Post
          Looks like its fighter monk or ranger.

Your wussy wizard/fighter need not apply.
          So Fighter + Other base class not Monk or Ranger is unacceptable?

"
          Heroes need the weak to feel important. I say, teach the weak the skills they need to live on their own, to protect themselves and break free of the chains of charity and victimization. The Triad needs people to protect. I need people to succeed." -Byrun von Hellstrom

Comment

There's nothing that says you can't, though in my experience they're not common because it's counted as rivalry. Though from what I've seen it would be up to the red wizard from what I've read about Thay, knights and Red Wizards. It's a personal taste in how the knight behaves over a general ruling. Though there are cultural stigmas, of course.
            Lauan - knight of Thay " I have no fear, and death is merely an inconvenience to me. I do not die until ordered to do so, I do not fall until every last bit of life has left me. I stand tall, proud, a Thayan knight."

Adeodatus Exitium -
            "Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart, for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." — James Baldwin

Comment

Hm... Well, I'm in love with the Thayan faction, and I want to try this build, s'pose I'll grit my teeth and not go Thayan Knight.

On the bright side, it won't restrict me from serving as a Thayn, just not as a Knight or Red Wizard. Perhaps an indebted slave, or some such.

Comment

I don't think the Thayans would want servants with as much caster ability as an Eldritch Knight has: that whole magical submission thing might be compromised. Best to keep them nonarcane.
                Originally posted by Cornuto
                Glad everyone's being extra fucking ridiculous today.

Comment

Originally posted by roguethree View Post
                  I don't think the Thayans would want servants with as much caster ability as an Eldritch Knight has: that whole magical submission thing might be compromised. Best to keep them nonarcane.
                  This is more of an argument of ideology based on individuals, which doesn't seem so strong given all of what Red Wizards do, and who they rely on.

Look at the nature of Red Wizards and the way they rely on their apprentices heavily in PnP for Circle Magic, for example. Their apprentices are very capable of betraying them. That in mind, I don't think that all would dismiss the idea of having both a Thayan Knight to protect them, as well as a slave to fuel their circle magic, all in one; more reliable than an apprentice, less reliable than a fighter Thayan Knight, but twice the benefits.

I was hoping for something more definite in the books, because it all seems pretty vague on this matter.

"

Comment

Originally posted by The Butcher View Post
                    This is more of an argument of ideology based on individuals, which doesn't seem so strong given all of what Red Wizards do, and who they rely on.

'praps so, but it seems like this is less about Red Wizards as a whole and more about the Sundren enclave.
                    Judging by experience with the NPCs and a few PCs of the faction, allowing their most trusted servant and bodyguard to the same level of arcane secrecy as themselves and their peers would be very out-of-character.
                    "Sir, we're surrounded!" "Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction."

Comment

You could have a badass Thayan Knight Monk though... that'd be different.

Actually, multi-classing monks are usually failsauce, so nevermind.

Comment

But a monk thayan knight would just be badass. Which I don't understand since they need longsword focus.
                        Lauan - knight of Thay " I have no fear, and death is merely an inconvenience to me. I do not die until ordered to do so, I do not fall until every last bit of life has left me. I stand tall, proud, a Thayan knight."

Adeodatus Exitium -
                        "Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart, for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." — James Baldwin

Comment

So they can... um... *shrugs*

Comment

*Demands reqs are changed so I can become ultra-maxiumus, monk of Thay - knight edition*

Adeodatus Exitium -

Comment

It's probably something to do with the symbolic power of the sword, and all that kind of crap.
                              It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
                              Sydney Smith.

Comment

Working...
                              X