Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unautorized Pop-up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unautorized Pop-up?

When I'm on the forums on your site, I occasionally have a pop-up show up saying it's from "Microsoft Security Network" and "That my browser is running in unsafe mode".

The fix is to click "Allow" and allow the random pop-up to install something.

I have AVG Pro, so I know stuff like that shouldn't pop up. Not to mention I have the Microsoft settings on my comp to not look for things like that (since, as I said I have a 3rd program which watches for viruses and stuff).

But it is isolated to this site as I verified it after deleting everything in my browser history and it popped up again when I only have this site open.

Just a heads up.
    Celahir Morningdew - Aspiring Wizard

Ironically, after I posted this, it popped up and happened again.

Took a screenie to show.
    Attached Files

Comment

Never received this before on the site, and I use multiple browsers (firefox, chrome, IE). Also this doesn't even look like it's coming from our site. There's no scripted installs on any ads (and no pop-up ads).

I notice also that you're using wireless, which I have no idea if it's your home wireless or not, but ads can be generated from public wifi locations or other people's wireless in the form of pop-ups when browsing through their internet.

Simply because it comes up when visiting this site doesn't mean it's coming from here. Also, all our ads come from Google Adsense, so anything on that has the green light from Google.

I recommend scanning your system with a third party tool like malware bytes (or a similar free product).
      The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

I'll scan, and yes, the wireless is my home router.

Comment

(*edit* should have looked at the screenie first - doesn't look like the case I described. However, it could still be suspicious. Have you tried googling for the exact message you see on that popup? Can you be very sure it's not a malware you've already installed?)

Do NOT click allow on these unless you are very sure they are from a software that you installed and know. They are often scams and Virus traps and clicking that will put a rather tenacious piece of malware on your system.

It may well be related to this:
          http://www.xp-vista.com/spyware-remo...antivirus-2008

or this:
          http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102...hreadID=288404

They infiltrate pages like google for example. And we do use google ads on the page.

What browser are you using? IE is more susceptible to this sort of thing than most others.
          sigpic
          Gravity is a myth; Earth just sucks.

>>> Flame Warriors! <<<

Comment

I did get it taken care of.

There was some sort of malware that was counter-productive to being scanned and removed, so I rebooted the comp into safe mode, contacted microsoft via my laptop and over the course of 5 hours ran 3 scans that did in fact clean my system like a colon cleanser of all malware that was on it (wasn't much, 13 files, but enough to make themselves known).

I'm still not sure what made it happen as it wasn't anywhere I was able to find out. Deleted all temp files, all cache files, still popped up. deleted them all over again in safe mode, nothing, but I did get some help via http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...d-310a86318ba6 that site.

EDIT:
            Just saw you asked about what browser, I use Google Chrome. I used to use Firefox but chrome looks nicer, and is just as safe 99% of the time (if not safer imho).
            Definately something I've bookmarked and I've saved the files that MSoft had me download (a tool called "VIPERescue6075" and "windows-kb890830-v3.5" - both very potent and powerful malware removal tools that does not damage windows).

Anyways, thanks for the follow up.

Comment

Arrr. Chrome is a swiss cheese, security wise, from what I hear. Safari is a good option if you don't like Firefox (which I'd still recomment) - and even Opera's gotten fairly good.
              sigpic

>>> Flame Warriors! <<<

Comment

I stopped using Firefox since they started accepting trusted signatures from China.

Chrome is the fastest browser, but its infancy makes it less secure.

And well... Safari... The security is allegedly quite good, however I was never a fan of apple products and am certainly not a fan on this software (and I find it slower than Chrome or Firefox).

Anyhow, good you got it sorted out.
                The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

this is actually the first problem I've ever had with Chrome security-wise (and I've actually been using it since it came out).

I agree with Firefox and the china certs, which is part of why I moved away from that. I've always hated using Internet Explorer (and use it as little as humanly possible). I'd actually like to get Chrome to pull up the things for My Computer and the like if I could only make it work......

As it pertains to Safari and Opera, I've just never really liked them so - never got into using them.

Comment

hmmm....

You guys might wanna check out about the banners if possible that you're getting from Google because it started popping up again this morning after it was cleaned.

It was gone until I came to this site again this morning.

Not sure if it's something you can take care of, but it did start it up again.

Comment

If it's a google ad, there is nothing we can do. That code is delivered by google and they expressly forbid modifying it. You will be served different ads than other folks as well, more than likely. What you might do is suggest to google that they check their ad servers.

*knows this because has been working with this stuff at job and hatin.*
                      sigpic

>>> Flame Warriors! <<<

Comment

Working...
                      X