Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the allure of anime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All you want is for people who like the genre to come here for you to say "u'r an azz *drools*" Really, go watch Bambi

Comment

Originally posted by Cheatcake View Post
      All you want is for people who like the genre to come here for you to say "u'r an azz *drools*" Really, go watch Bambi
      Right, why are you trying to prove a moot point that is based on opinion anyway? It doesn't make any sense. Infact, you're starting to look like an idiot. Just a heads up.

Comment

So I would like to ask you japanamation fans out there what reasons do you have for liking Japaneses cartoons and why most of you are so anti subtitles, and so snobbish about it.
        Priest, this is from your initial post. It looks like you're just picking a fight, and so far, that's what you've demonstrated. Anyway...

Apply this to your argument. Anime is the animated expression of the Japanese comic book, Manga. Manga, like the American comic book, is an art form all its own, with its own conventions for artistry, expression, and storytelling. That you judge it's worth against the "twelve points of animation" is ignorant. That's like judging any great painting against any arbitrary twelve points.

Furthermore, one of the great "American" animations in recent memory, Samurai Jack, won numerous awards between 2002 and 2005, and it took place in a world quite unbelievable, and it featured your typical swordsman that doesn't hurt another until absolutely necessary.

As far as you know...well, the scope of what you know seems to be limited by a very narrow, very bigoted lens. Unless you can defend your abrasive stance with anything beyond subjection, cease to criticize anyone else for their own subjective opinion.

Class dismissed.
        Mirumoto Akagi: What is dance?
        Dalon Arogard: It's this. *busts a move*
        Llew Hy: A strange compulsion...
        Mirumoto Akagi: I suppose you can dance if you like, but you're leaving our friends behind, and they're not dancing.
        Dalon Arogard: Then they're no friends of mine.

Comment

Being sequential doesn't make a good story, doesn't give it class. Dbz had none and the following load of garbage went into the negatives.
          As for the argument of America having bad cartoons for the last 40 years i disagree. The Original 90's batman cartoon [before all the sharp angels], Venture Brothers, X-men for the 90's, ren and stimpy, Aeon, fosters hoime flux there are tons out there you just have to look. for the most part 80's cartoons where a darkage of cartoons in america mostly made for toys. He-man the cartoon was made for selling toys nothing more. As a kid they where cool, but dont hold up today.
          I no longer have any reason to be offended, if you consider Ren and Stimpy good I have no reason to think you have any right to judge DBZ as having poor animation or lagging character design or background. This thread has now lost all appeal to me, it's neither a 'healthy' or 'good' conversation and the one thing that drew my interest, which was your rude additude towards a perfectly fine anime has been completely shot down by those three words.
          Aesa Volsung - Uthgardt Warrior

Formerly
          Gabrielle Atkinson - Mage Priest of Torm
          Anasath Zesiro - Mulhorandi Morninglord
          Kyoko - Tiefling Diviner
          Yashedeus - Cyrist Warlock
          Aramil - Nutter

GMT -8

Comment

Priest of Asmodeus, please remain civil in discussion. Thank you.

Comment

Anime is entertaining. I watch a little of it, but-- Unlike most others, it does not influence a lot of my creativity.
              "Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man."
              - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Anthropic View Post
                I think i've watched more of DBZ than any other cartoon. Probably because we used to smoke alot of herb in highschool. Come to think of it, I probably thought myself similar to Vegeta back in those days.. You know, undestructable and harnessing the ability to destroy the planet and such. Hah! Those were the days.
                Amen! It's like it was yesterday...

Personally I hate anime. It drives me nuts. Japanese cartoons are CRAZY.
                The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

I personally enjoy some few choice animes. Actually mainly just
                  Ghost in the Shell (movies and especially the series') and Miyazaki movies. Why I like 'em? *shrugs* I just do.
                  Retired.

Comment

Only Anime i ever enjoyed was "Berserk".. 'cause.. I like fighters.. and the rest should be obvious :P

And of course, the Final Fantasy games, which are done in Anime style.. now there's storyline for ya!

As for the rest of anime.. not my taste.. the famous five second screamings and such... just gets too...weird..

But Anime is very popular, Ghost in the Shell, that...female i forgot the name of, not to mention a countless array of MMO's in the Anime genre.
                    It's just different tastes..
                    It's like some people Like the movie "Army of Darkness", and everybody else hates it :P

Comment

Working...
                    X