Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why you should be nice to Canadians...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why you should be nice to Canadians...

We'll either write a strongly worded letter, or do this to you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
    Bree - Bookkeeper and diplomat of Exigo.

Becky Dragonhin - Sword of the Loyal Fury, Knight of the Triad... the only Good hin in Sundren???
    Cybil Gelley (Retired)
    Perry Turnipfodder - aspiring talent, happy chronicler.

Now this is getting even! This video has almost 1.5 million views so far.
    sigpic
    Corvus Corax - Tracker, Scout, Spy, and finder of lost shadows

Comment

He has 2 more songs planned too.

Becky Dragonhin - Sword of the Loyal Fury, Knight of the Triad... the only Good hin in Sundren???
      Cybil Gelley (Retired)

Comment

wow...well that is one way i guess.lol
        Sain- Immunes Legionaire and Ex-Adept of the now decimated Red Blades
        Dane Kensbane- Farmboy struggling to adjust to his new life as a favored of Illmater
        Peeli Pebblepounder- Beardless dwarven scout and woodsman
        Alexi Starsunder- Extremely young and headstrong elven rogue searching for his adopted dwarven uncle.
        Siriandel Starsunder- Grizzled Elven ranger, and estranged uncle of Alexi

Comment

Originally posted by Fezzik View Post
          He has 2 more songs planned too.
          Oh god, just pease don't post links for them too!
          If honour is truth and a lie is respect, then a secret is sacred.
          Confide in me my friend and I shall love you like no other.

Comment

Originally posted by Fezzik
            We'll either write a strongly worded letter, or do this to you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
            Or we burn down the whitehouse like we did in the war of 1812... That's what you get for trying to invade Canada. So don't fuck with us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5gtLF3IWhU
            The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

We had to do something! England was being a sore loser about the War for Independence. They were kidnapping our citizens and forcing them to serve on English warships, arming terrorists as we continued our westward expansion and instituting discriminatory trade practices making trade with France very difficult.

Technically we were invading England. The Canadians were still under England's thumb at the time. (With a few French holdings up there.)

Comment

Originally posted by Saulus View Post
                Or we burn down the whitehouse like we did in the war of 1812... That's what you get for trying to invade Canada. So don't fuck with us.
                Yeah..it's odd how kidnapping American sailors and forcing them into work against their country would upset a nation. Though we also burned down the Canadian Parliament building.

Although this describes my thoughts on the whole affair rather well:
                Originally posted by http://harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=166
                The war of 1812 is little talked about but it is an excellent example for people from the US and Canada about how no event is recorded without bias. The US regards it, I believe, as almost a second war of independence, and Canada views it as an invasion by Americans. America declared the war, invaded, and we held our ground and staved off their attacks. Canadians don't learn in school about false impressment of American seamen or seizure of their vessels prior to the war that caused it. Both the Canadian parliament and the American whitehouse burned to the ground. We don't learn about the Battle of Fort McHenry, they don't learn about Queenston Heights. Everyone disagrees on who won, even though it was a stalemate. Natives get royally screwed. Normally I am not annoyed by this sort of thing, but in this case, that isn't so. I watched an American produced documentary on the subject and it made me pull a face so many times it might have stuck that way. The War of 1812 is the Most Irritating War of All.
                James Arrow: Potion Vendor

Comment

Originally posted by Lothoir View Post
                  Yeah..it's odd how kidnapping American sailors and forcing them into work against their country would upset a nation. Though we also burned down the Canadian Parliament building.

Although this describes my thoughts on the whole affair rather well:
                  American propoganda... you guys are just sore losers because we were the only ones to burn down the Whitehouse and we had a smaller army. Also Americans invented Manifest Destiny... so I would call Imperialism before revenge.

Also, Canada has an unbiased view of history in school. We actually know not only our own government and history, but learn some American history as well.

America on the other hand is blissfully ignorrant of almost anything about Canada, including what really happened in the war of 1812. Essentially a bunch of frenchmen and Englishmen raided and burned down the whitehouse.

Also Canadian parliament was not burned down by the Americans, in fact we weren't even a country until 1867.
                  The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Yes, you invaded England in all technicalities. Upper and Lower Canada at the time had Legislatures, but there was no Parliament in Canada until 1841, so I don't know what the heck they burnt down -- probably some Igloo they came across, since we all live in those * snicker * ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhTZ_tgMUdo ).

We learn a lot about the war of 1812, and we know no one won it, we also know that it wasn't about anything but an extension of the War of Independence (since the actual recognition was not until before the Battle of New Orleans -- yes, we know that the treaty was signed before that battle).

We love our neighbours to the south, but like Trudeau said, "Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt"

Cybil Gelley (Retired)

Comment

I'm sorry for using the term 'Parliament' when I guess I should have used legislative. But the burnt buildings I referred to are now Parliament buildings, which is what I meant.

http://schools.tdsb.on.ca/jarvisci/toronto/parl1826.htm
                      This is from the Toronto School District web page.

And if you want me to rephrase 'Candian Parliament building' to "The legislative buildings in Canada that would become Parliament" then fine...

And while we don't learn as much about Canada and Mexico as perhaps we should, we do learn about the Native Americans we stole from and abused, and from the European societies we come from.

My history teachers never toned down the atrocities America committed against the Native Americans, specifically Smallpox Blankets and the Trail of Tears, and we went over in great detail how we screwed over Latin America, China, the Middle East, and Russia during WWII. And those are just the things most prominent in my mind.
                      James Arrow: Potion Vendor

Comment

Ahem. It seems we've got some young folks who have been subjected to the languishing public education system in the United States. Allow me to make a couple of corrections.

The U.S. didn't screw over anyone in WWII. (Except the Axis, but they had it coming and then we helped them rebuild from scratch.) The United States was, in fact, allies of both China and the Soviet Union (Russia) during that war. One could make the case that the lack of involvement in those two areas of the world by the United States allowed Mao and Stalin and their successors to kill untold millions of people.

People in the Middle East have been killing each other for thousands of years. I'm not sure what your teacher told you about U.S involvement over there but we really haven't done much more than buy a bunch of oil, liberate two or three countries and tell Iran to stop being a bully with it's nuclear aspirations.

So maybe I guess it's possible that we did screw them all over big time. Especially if you consider that at the time we didn't "invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity."

As for Latin America . . . I have no idea what leftist teachers are teaching these days. Most of the countries in Central and South America openly chose to support the Allies in the war effort. (Many others joined in near the end when it looked as if victory for the Allies was imminent.)

While the Trail of Tears and other similar forced relocations is a relatively dark chapter in U.S. history, there is absolutely no evidence that the United States gave "smallpox blankets" to Native Americans. That is something that was made up out of whole cloth by former University of Colorado Professor Ward Churchill. (I can provide references if you wish. )

Comment

damn it...I hate this lap top...I had a whole message and accidentally delelted the whole thing...fml. In summary. I live in Oklahoma and am native american. I still like CAnada and the few canadians i know. As for burning things...I think we've done our share of burning since then...a few whole countries...but i digress. Canada gives us hockey and syrup, and for that they are okay in my book.
                          Dane Kensbane- Farmboy struggling to adjust to his new life as a favored of Illmater
                          Alexi Starsunder- Extremely young and headstrong elven rogue searching for his adopted dwarven uncle.

Comment

and wait. am i supposed to believe that according to this Canada isn't a Territory of the U.S? ;P

Comment

as for the blankets...I"m pretty sure that all of our native american histories record at least us being locked in cages like animals...so if the blankets didn't have diseases when you put them in there with us, they did soon after. but this is all history and i come here for some fun RP and not to argue about politics. I do that enough in RL.

Comment

Working...
                              X