Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Death and the PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death and the PC

Just wondering what the general consensus is as far as death goes. I have seen it RP'd different ways, some folk use heal checks and say "he is barely alive we must get him to a temple", others just pick up the body and say "hope the priests can bring him back, poor sod taking a dirt nap allready".

I was just wondering if there is a rule? or is it a *go with the group view* kinda thing. I just find it odd that the Abbot in the temple of helm charges 800 stags for some "doctorin" while i find it plausible for a raise dead. Infact, isn't the dialog something along the lines of raising the dead?

Just thought I'd ask since i'm fairly new here and am still trying to figure out folk's ARE Pee styles.
    " I found my inner child once, then Child Protective Services came and took him away"

Death is supposed to be rare, and raising even rarer. We need to update some of our systems and conversations, but here's what we envision:

* Killed but rescued by your party - Not really dead! You were knocked out and required strong healing from a priest (no memory loss)

* Killed and used a signus / respawn - Dead! Bigger hit to your xp and gold (may not yet be implemented, but you can enact it in RP as having died)

* Killed and rescued the next day by friends - Firstly, shame on you if you called in help in an OOC manner. Don't let us catch this happening But if another adventuring party stumbles across you, it is a corpse (you're dead).
    "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
    -Bill Maher

Comment

* Killed and used a signus / respawn - Dead! Bigger hit to your xp and gold (may not yet be implemented, but you can enact it in RP as having died)
      This one's implemented, though not as stated.
      - Respawning can only be done pre-level 12, you lose xp, gold and random items.
      - Using a signus can be done by anyone. You lose nothing except the signus.
      Both cases are treated as having died, except if you use a signus and have your party RP bringing you to a temple at the same time. In that case it could be a recovery like in the first case.

As far as I know everything 'envisioned' is already there, except the conversation updates aren't done. And maybe a differentiation needs to be made depending on the time of death.

Comment

A lot of it seems to be up to preference.

You could play off the signus and your 'death' however you wish really. I perfer to only resort to death when such a thing is permanent, as it prevents from cheapening it rp-wise.

I think a few others spoke about it before I did, but the Forgotten Realm novels seems to be a good basis for it. In the novels (not counting Elminster, but he's kind of a special case), characters died often and they also often died heroically. And their allies did not even consider or talk about bringing him to a priest or whatever to revive him. For the most part, it seemed like such spells only worked as long as clerics had SOME life within the victim to work with and even then nothing was guaranteed.

This is how I personally play it. The textbooks make death about as difficult to get rid of as a rash, only more expensive. Lugging around a corpse to be revived works for dark humor in things like Order of the Stick, but imo has no place in a world of serious story.

Treating life and death as things that can easily be munipulated cheapens both. However, I dare not enforce my rp viewpoints on others (the dms would kick my ass for that, as they should). Play it off how you wish. If you want to say your guy actually died, fine. If you want to say he got the stuffing beat out of him and just needs UBER-healing if he wants to see the light of another day, go with it. You may not be able to talk while 'dead', but you can still send tells to the person you know is most likely carrying you to safety and tell him what you are doing. Such things led to a funny scene once where Osclow was carrying a 'dead' ally down a mountain trail who started dreaming that Os was a beautiful woman and tried to get 'friendly' with him.
        sigpic
        Osclow Wiltenholm- "I have seen behind the mask and almost miss the bliss of ignorance."

Comment

I'd suggest that everybody does it like i do: be pissed when you die and delete you character. That would solve all these problems

Comment

Say what you will about Maevan's methods, but he DOES take death seriously. I will tip my hat to him for that. lol I liked your characters though Mae :P.
            sigpic
            Osclow Wiltenholm- "I have seen behind the mask and almost miss the bliss of ignorance."

Comment

Don't encourage him, he might keep a character then!!
              The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Huh.. you cant respond post 12? Didnt know that... ouch. Poor Kira is gonna be corpsed for awhile
                Julia Blackstar

Login:Kusanagifanatic

Comment

Originally posted by Deathevn View Post
                  Huh.. you cant respond post 12? Didnt know that... ouch. Poor Kira is gonna be corpsed for awhile
                  You can't resurrect yourself without a signus past 12, I think you can still be brought to a temple by others. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
                  Originally posted by Saulus
                  Stop playing other shitty MMOs and work on Sundren, asshole.

Comment

I was more concerned about the while dieing when your by yourself and being.. kinda stuck there waiting for someone to raise your corpse... would kinda suck to be an outsider character if that was the case.

Or am I missing something and there is some way to earn signus's ?
                    Julia Blackstar

Comment

The idea is that you don't go on solo killing sprees in dangerous places. It's not a supported 'play style', even if the server is not too crowded at any given point in time. There's rarely any RP to be had in solo killing anyway

Comment

A sensitive topic for me and a deal breaker, so it's nice to see that I am allowed to choose the way I treat my deaths (I think?). So I'll just side with Silas and say I generally like my character to have only one death: permanent, with an exception of my temporary death serving a higher purpose, like advancing a plot.
                        I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.

Comment

All these are fair enough, I guess given the fact that I seem to be accdently deathprone, I am a bit nervous.. but hey! its still a long crawl for me to get to 12:-) I will deal with it when I get there and hopefuly have some people that can stand being around kira enough

thanks for the explination!
                          Julia Blackstar

Comment

Thanks for all the input, I think I've got a feel for how to play it. Heh, don't worry Kira should have someone looking after her for a bit .

Respectfully
                            The Dose Man.
                            " I found my inner child once, then Child Protective Services came and took him away"

Comment

Working...
                            X