Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the place for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the place for me?

Hello all,

My friend and I are recently freed victims of Warcraft. We are both new the NWN2 online worlds. We are looking for a place to hang out two or three nights a week and are wondering why Sundren is popular. So here is your chance, brag it up!

We are both old enough to remember how exciting it was for AD&D [edit:2nd ed] to come out and replace the origional version... geesh I have been rolling dice for a very long time. My buddy and I are both married and have kids. In addition to telling me about what you love about Sundren, please answer a few questions for me.

What is the demographic like here in Sundren? Mostly teenagers, adults, parents, or is it a good mix?

How active are the forums?

What is the main time zone of the server? (If there is one).

Thanks for your time and patience with me. Every thing I have read told me to be selective when choosing what realm to play on and that is what I am doing.

Rask

Welcome.

Sundren has a wide demographic, I've known people to even play with their kids on the server. I would say the large majority are young adults with a good mix of people that are middle aged. Of course there are some youngins around here but I think the mature RP environment speaks volumes of the age group here.

The forums are always quite active and we promote the regular use of them, usually people who are more active on the forums are more in touch with what's happening ingame. We have invested a lot of time and energy into our website and I think it shows.

As for why Sundren is popular -- we've been developing the module for 3 years now with the collaborative work of volunteers, we have modified nearly every single thing possible in the game to a large extent including the interface, spells, feats, skills, classes, models, rulesets... the list goes on and on. We pride ourselves on quality over quantity and take great care in developing new regions and places to explore.

I'm sure I'm partially biased and the other players could chime in more, however I feel these are the most significant accomplishments we have made -- and the donations from our users which support the server is a very clear indicator of our dedication.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

I am not sure of the entire demographic, but many of the people I usually party with are older.

I don't think there is any regular timezone; however, many of the people I party with are west coast US.

A couple things about the server:
      1. The build/graphics are awesome and probably better than the single player game
      2. The custom content is unbelievable - many different things you can do and play
      3. The DMs are great and really try to help out and also run interesting events
      4. The player base I think is very good, solid, dependable, and fun
      5. You can find a group or faction or race or class that suites you - many things you can do and quests you can complete to get to know Sundren

Anyway, I hope this helps and that you choose Sundren.
      • Dalrion - Ranger of the Viridale
      • Constantine - Adorned of Ilmater
      • Crom - Priest of Gorm
      Bring me a Shrubbery!

Comment

Define "older"

( anything constructive I might have said has already been said )
        Annaleen Wiltenholm-There's always something to smile about.
        Chani Kalera- Intimidation is the new diplomacy. *looms*
        Eleanor "Bloody Elle" Lark - Why is the rum always gone?
        Yolanda Brown - If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. But unless life also gives you water and sugar, your lemonade is going to suck.
        Astrid Hammerhand - Och!

Comment

Originally posted by Verrath View Post
          Define "older"
          Ok.

Verrath.
          Elric Modner. - "Yesterday I dared struggle against tyranny, Today I dare to fight once again."

Comment

The player base of Sundren is both mature and fun, and I can vouch for that from the point of view of a NWN2 n00b (as I was when I arrived here), an advanced player (as I've slowly become over time), and as a DM (My final evolutionary state). Naturally, we occasionally get the odd player who is disruptive to the server, but these players are quickly weeded out, and we have a healthy and happy server for it.

As for the initial question, Is this the right server for you? Well we can't really answer that, only you can. If you enjoy role-play over power-gaming, if you value high quality RP and enjoyable storyline, if you value mature and expansive lore, then yes, this server is perfect for you, just as it is for me and many other players.

If the above statements apply to you, then welcome, welcome, because I'm sure you'll find everything you're looking for here.
            Lorlen Locke: "Amazing how the righteous commit acts of tyranny and terror almost as beautiful as our own under their banner of "good". We merely call a spade a spade."

"If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly."

Comment

In Sundren you can join the Red Blades! Yay!

Well, be welcome if you decide to stay.
              "Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Comment

hmmm sundren in a nut shell eh?

lets see.

DM events are not "Watch me" events. They actually have skill rolls and involve folks outside the uber of uber.

Staff are helpful, actually work with folks verses a flat "NO". Though some things can't be done they do listen which is pretty cool.

The creator is still in charge, around, active and calling the shots. Typically a PW goes to crap shortly after any of those changes.

Players hmmm. Helpful and stick to charactor pretty well. They do send tells but mostly to double check they did not cross the line or offend.

The actual server and such. Its a nice design, pretty yet functional. Lots of neat buttons and more features to be intruduced later (gem enchanting etc).

What to expect.

1. Leveling is going to be SLOW, but the level cap keeps folks pretty close together. Do not expect to ever solo everwhere nor to max out anytime soon. My charactors max cap currently is 14-15, yet none have made it to 8.

2. Builds not working or being able to level in a set build or aquire ceritan feats at X level. Check the wiki there been some tinkering and some classes require new feats or skills, some have features moved to different level. Also some are not allowed unless you earn it.

3. Gold, Actually is worth something....neat.

Disclaimer - I am not staff, nor a dm, or such. Just my opinion, of the server.

Summary - I like it here, and if you like rp should enjoy it here too.
                blame everything right in my life on god -Me.
                Being insane in a sane world is alot more fun then being a sane man in an insane world. -Me
                I am only what you percieve, and even that is an illusion. -Me.

Ashinet Clavin Shiv Shadowsong

Comment

all comments above should speak highly of the quality here in. i can add little more.

i will say this though, you said you were new to nwn2, right. sundren is the closest thing online you will find to the "old dnd experience." that said remember that it is not pen and paper. the rules are hard coded and more difficult to bend/change/circumvent.

this was hard for me at first. i have since over come this... somewhat... and im sure the dm team sometimes rolls their eyes at my request... but at least they hear me out. try finding that on any other server.

Comment

I vote all the above and we have cookies! Soory had to say it. But this is a graet sever people make good friends and have some fun times and the DM's do a great job for events and helping out. So welcome!
                    "I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."-Winston Churchill

"A warrior is measured in sacrifice beyond death for he who rises not once but twice shall offer all those nearby you pay the price" Banite Hero

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/126/rwee.png <-- New home.

Ju'eir- http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/6286/sdfsdf.png
                    The power of the hunt.

Comment

Welcome to Sundren, the demographic here is extremely broad (and vocal). Glad you and your friend got your soul back from Blizzard I hope you enjoy your time here!

p.s. One thing; Clerics!

They are NWN2's most powerfull class yet no-one plays them (Yes I know there are a few high level clerics). Seriously, clerics... thats all I have to say
                      Originally posted by roguethree
                      If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Thief Of Navarre View Post
                        They are NWN2's most powerfull class yet no-one plays them (Yes I know there are a few high level clerics). Seriously, clerics... thats all I have to say
                        Stay tunned for a Halfling Cleric of Brandobaris
                        Anorith Imyn A young elven girl with a thirst of blood and power.
                        -Exigo Syndicate: Rank 1
                        -Watchful Sister: Rank 1
                        -Dragon Blood: 100% Completed
                        - Done -

Comment

Hey, I already did that!
                          • Dalrion - Ranger of the Viridale
                          • Constantine - Adorned of Ilmater
                          • Crom - Priest of Gorm
                          Bring me a Shrubbery!

Comment

Originally posted by Saulus View Post
                            The forums are always quite active and we promote the regular use of them, usually people who are more active on the forums are more in touch with what's happening ingame.
                            Excellent!
                            Originally posted by Verrath View Post
                            Define "older"

Older : Has children in public school; Owns a 401k plan; anxiety over the “3” at the beginning of his/her age; Lamented the loss of Gary Gygax; Owns original version of “Drow of the Underdark”; Born in the 70’s; Subscribes to a newspaper; Goes by the name of Eric (ß-- my buddy) hehe.
                            Glad you and your friend got your soul back from Blizzard.

Glad am I that there be an emphatic ear to the reclaiming of my soul. Curse you blizzard! **Shakes fist**
                            p.s. One thing; Clerics!
                            For the last two years of table gaming I have been playing a renegade mastermaker in Eberron. Divine casters have always been my weapon of choice and all my time in Warcraft I played a raid healer. I am happy to hear my favorite class is needed.

We bought this game long ago but never played it due to WoW. We have yet to purchase the xpacs, but plan to. I already like what I see here on the forums and appreciate the mass posting on this thread. I look forward to joining the world Sundren.

Comment

I used to be in a heavy raiding guild myself. Count me among the 30+ year-old, former WoW players on Sundren
                              "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
                              -Bill Maher

Comment

Working...
                              X