Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

Hi.

Thanks for accepting me to the forums. A friend recommended this to me, he said it was brilliant and it really seems to be so.
    I've not played NWN over the net before and havnt tried Roleplaying before but i Promise to give it a fair go and try stay in character! So please bare with me till i get the bumps in my character story sorted out with the sledgehammer.

Currently its downloading the updater so i should have time to come up with a story, would appreciate suggestions for backgrounds so that i don't make a mess of it.

thanks again and hope to see you in game soon.

Paul.

Welcome.

I hope you thoroughly enjoy exploring what is still very much a "beta" version of Sundren.

All of our veteran players know to help those who are willing to try.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Hey, I like you already. Unfortunatly you won't find me online anytime soon, as I scrounge together some money to afford a decent computer, but everyone knows I'm the best member of the entire community and the universe put together with Calafornia. So heed my words!

...First of all, don't worry about anything. Most of the people here are really accepting of newcomers, and are more than happy to show you the ropes whenever you ask for help. If you're ever lost or confused in game, and need some help, send someone a private message, and they'll guide you the best they can. Just don't ask the DM's. They'll probably try to include you in some diabolically composed plot, and manipulate your character with twisted scenarios. You've been warned.

As for a good storyline, I'd give you some ideas, but aren't they more fun for you if they come from yourself? There are some general pointers though, that you should be aware of:

-There are certain races and classes that are restricted, or require DM approval, and you can find a list of these somewhere on the website. Unfortunatly, I don't remember where, and can't give you the link. You'd better take a look at them though, so you don't end up making a Vampiric Drow Paladin of Brandobaris, which would get you spanked by the higher powers.

-Its perfectly fine if you want your character to be an over-glorified, fantastical hero of awesome might, but make sure he has a few flaws and/or quirks. There is no such thing as the perfect person, and when you try to make one work, you end up leaving a bad impression more often than not. You don't have to play a alcoholic, dirt-eating, accident prone moron, who also supports beastiality and incest, but at least make sure your character has a few things that aren't picture-perfect about him.

-Try to avoid things such as "my character was a dragon slayer in his home land" or "he was the richest man in all of everywhere", because realistically, you will be starting at level three, with 1000 gold, and that just won't work with your backstory unless you he lost his fortunes shortly before coming to Sundren, and the dragons were wyrmlings with disabilities.

-No matter how perfect your backstory ends up becoming, don't reveal it too quickly, while in-character. I mean, think of it in terms of reality. Do you just walk around spewing your life story on demand to strangers? Probably not, and if you do, I'm sure you withhold certain things unless you are speaking to someone you deeply trust, or know well. Make sure your character is the same, as it adds to the realism.

Thats all I can think of right now, but I'm sure everyone else will have more pointers or something.

...Sorry for typing so much.
      Pyras: Red Wizard of Thay, High Arcanist of Illusion, Master of the Enclave's Knight Commander.

Currently taking apprentices, and conducting research.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I've already looked through the restrictions page, was wondering about the races tho, surly its possible to have them as explorers from distant lands. But i guess you were right considering they'd have experience problems.

I've already decided i'd have a pretty simple background as an unknown, it gives me room to explore with it more and will add a bit of mystery to my character i can reveal later on. (when i think if something to reveal)

Was thinking of trying a Cleric, but read on here that favored soul gets wings at L 10 or something. I'd also normally play a sorcerer as i find the spell set up much handier than a wizards and its basically the same for cleric/favored soul unless you've changed it.
        bah.. to early to decide my character type now. come the time its ready i'd have 20 different characters premade in my head!

LOL consider me warned about the DM's when ever i see one coming i'll jump in the bush and pretend to be a door to door sales man.
        Failing that... I'll flee like a woosie.
        (some healer I'm gonna make 0o)

Comment

Originally posted by Kangleton View Post
          You don't have to play a alcoholic, dirt-eating, accident prone moron, who also supports beastiality and incest
          I think I know what my next character will be now
          "Mad" Jack Flynn - "Godless wanderer"

Comment

lol, I endorse the idea, as long as you record your shinnanigans on the forums. Please? For me?

And in regards to what the OP said about restricted races being from far off lands and all that, it makes sense, but that isn't the problem. From an OOC perspective, you have to realize that if those races were open, everyone would want one. Then, the creatures that should be uncommon and freakish, become the norm... then its the humans that are uncommon and freakish, and we have a problem.
            Pyras: Red Wizard of Thay, High Arcanist of Illusion, Master of the Enclave's Knight Commander.

Comment

hmm yes i understand. which is probably why you let people apply for one of those races. so you can monitor the amount.
              sorry for going on about character creation before. it was probably the wrong place for it.
              anyway.. FINALLY reinstalled the game on this computer and got all the updates. tomorrow i'll run the client download.
              how big is the client at the moment?

Comment

Originally posted by Kangleton View Post
                -There are certain races and classes that are restricted, or require DM approval, and you can find a list of these somewhere on the website. Unfortunatly, I don't remember where, and can't give you the link. You'd better take a look at them though, so you don't end up making a Vampiric Drow Paladin of Brandobaris, which would get you spanked by the higher powers.
                http://www.sundren.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4912 Booyah!

Any who... welcome to Sundren, if you need some help in game feel free to ask me, I play Orrick Fole, as my signature suggests.

Originally posted by paularius View Post
                I've already looked through the restrictions page
                Damn... I should have read that before feeling all good about myself...
                Akodo
                Rhime - or is he?

Comment

Hay.
                  Thanks Jaeram. I look forward to seeing you in game some time.
                  I didn't see that restricted classes thread before, nearly broke down in tears when i saw the Favored Soul as a request only but glad it was made available at the end.

I have a question tho about the combat system. Is the pause button allowed in combat? i cant see it would work with lots of real players. Is it real time then? or do we take turns?

Sorry a quick edit. whats the password to log into the game?
                  Last edited by paularius; 03-22-2008, 11:53 AM.

Comment

There is no password, if you see one, you are probably trying to log in using the DM client . We don't really need a password because to even get on the server you have to come here and register first to download the files.

The whole game is done in real time, no pausing accept for DM pausing, which is normally pretty rare and for a very short time.
                    Akodo
                    Rhime - or is he?

Comment

Yeah, and with that said, a word of caution to you:

Don't get into a fight by yourself. There are those who can manage it, but most characters cannot survive in the wilds without at least a single partner. The server was designed to promote party-play, and the requirement of teamwork - so you best find a few friends before entering the realtime combat.

Comment

hay thanks for the advise in game Jaeram, i look forward to teaming up some time.

i already found out that its hard to do solo lol. getting my ass wooped but a goblin.. how embarrassing.
                        actually a very nice man took me along through out the hills and goblin cave. and at the end he gave me the chieftains armor cant recal lthe name. bone chain?
                        anyway. i thought it was nice of him. considering all i realyl did was steal all the goblin meat and maybe heal a scratch or2 that he got.

my first character is Amelia Cestello and is a Favored soul. so hope to meet up some time kang.

Comment

Wait till Sandra finds out about this.

Amelia eh? I'll have to root you out
                          ?Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.? ~ A.E.

Comment

find what out? 0o?
                            whoes sandra?
                            root me out? i feel like i should run and hide! am i in trouble?

oh my bad. nasmes not amelia its abigail (got mixed up with another game)

Comment

take it easy mate.

you know who it is

abigail then...i'm comin to get ya
                              ?Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.? ~ A.E.

Comment

Working...
                              X