Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Practised Spellcaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practised Spellcaster

Is there any point in a pure caster taking this? e.g. my character has 9 lvls sorc. and 2 lvls arcane scholar. Since the feat adds +4 to your caster level, but cannot do so beyond your HD, if I'm right my character won't be getting any bonus from the feat; his caster level is (9 sorc. + 2 arc. scholar) 11, and his Hit Dice should be 11 too. So it's a wasted feat.

Is the above correct? Is it pointless to take this feat if you're a pure caster?
    Sammael Redstone - Country-raised sorceror, knows his drink

I don't think that feat helps you if you are not multiclassing. So you are right; wasted feat.

Comment

It will do nothing for you whatsoever!
      I got one leg missin'
      How do I get around?

One Leg Missin'
      Meet the Feebles

Comment

Hmmm.. can I ask a related question? Some time ago I was wondering if this feat added any benefits to 'half progress' classes and prestige classes, like the paladin or the war priest.

Comment

It shouldn't...
          I got one leg missin'
          How do I get around?

One Leg Missin'
          Meet the Feebles

Comment

Good question, but no, it doesn't. That would make for some nasty powerbuilding possibilities. Pale Masters with near-perfect spell progression? Yikes.
            Pyras: Red Wizard of Thay, High Arcanist of Illusion, Master of the Enclave's Knight Commander.

Currently taking apprentices, and conducting research.

Comment

I think it used to be a bug that practiced spellcaster did work with prestige classes - not sure if that remains. Also, I heard in PnP Palemasters did receive regular arcane spellcasting progression.

Comment

I've heard the same thing Wang. There was a debate raised earlier, no one was really sure why they nerfed them. They are pretty weak in NWN2, but would probably be overpowered with regular progression.
                "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
                -Bill Maher

Comment

It would be a free bonus to hitpoints, a large bonus to AC, and at absolutely no expense? Not to mention the instant death touch and all that stuff. You can bet that half the spellcasters in all of everywhere would be enticed.
                  Pyras: Red Wizard of Thay, High Arcanist of Illusion, Master of the Enclave's Knight Commander.

Comment

Right, overpowered. But as it stands, few people take it because, in the NWN2 implementation, it is weak. My statement stands sir!
                    "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
                    -Bill Maher

Comment

Ask rustediron what he thinks about that statement, sir.

Comment

Not a Bug: Practiced Spellcaster filling in "empty levels" of spellcasting progression in half-progress prestige classes. i.e. 12 Cleric / 8 Warpriest with Practiced Spellcaster = CL 20. Really, this is one of the primary purposes of taking it.

Bug, Confirmed with Old Tamara, May Have Been Fixed: Practiced Spellcaster overlapping with prestige class levels for spellcasting, in effect giving double caster levels, as long as you don't have four non-spellcasting levels. i.e. 1 Fighter / 5 Wizard / 4 Eldritch Knight with Practiced Spellcaster = CL 12, 2 more than its HD.

ALSO! For half-progression classes like paladin, as of my last trials it DOES work. Which is good! Half-casting is a gimped enough mechanic anyhow.

And remember: Even if the Palemaster has full CL progression, it's not getting spell levels or spells per day. Sure, your fireball is about as good as a wizard's, but you can't cast Bigby's Forceful Hand, and you cry sad tears of uselessness.
                        Adama who was once called Adama Hrakness, sacred paw of Mielikki

Lihana Farrier, Paladin of Torm and noble dalliance

On Hold: Alandriel Ward, Actually a Vampire Groupie
                        Retired for Good: Tamryn Jorandur, Hano's Wife and Conflicted Soul

Comment

Thanks for the information, Raksha. That's exactly what I wanted to know.. and now I won't have to waste an hour testing it myself

Comment

WHAT! I CAN GET 4 FREE LEVELS OF BARD SPELLS!? That is AWESOME! Definitely taking that next level...

Wait. I died. CRAP. Now I have 13k to go... xD

EDIT: Palemasters can get ridiculous AC... and the spell progression isn't too much of a hit if you waste your money on wands and scrolls like I do.
                            Val Evra - Wandmaker and Wanderer

Comment

Originally posted by rustediron View Post
                              WHAT! I CAN GET 4 FREE LEVELS OF BARD SPELLS!? That is AWESOME! Definitely taking that next level...

Wait. I died. CRAP. Now I have 13k to go... xD

EDIT: Palemasters can get ridiculous AC... and the spell progression isn't too much of a hit if you waste your money on wands and scrolls like I do.
                              My understanding is that you don't get any new spell slots or advance to highter levels it just effects the spells you already know. -- Up to 4 levels of a non-class progression is treated toward those spells for caster level purposes. (Like duration, amount of missles, damage, etc...)
                              ~~~ || Characters: Pythios Wyrmborn || ~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X