Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parry, how does it really works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parry, how does it really works

I thought that parry worked only when in parry mode. The truth is I 've never had a character with any ranks in parry, so I hadn't really checked it.

I was quite surprised when I created a fighter just to experiment on something and saw him parrying attacks while fighting normally.

So I have to ask, how does it really works? Is this some kind of bug? Should it work like that?
    Was I really so foolishly ignorant for more than a year, never training the skill with any of my fighting characters?
    Alex: the bass drum player

I think that normal Parry has something to do with the shield...though I'm not actually quite sure. I was surprised to see Peri parry too (heh, Peri parry).

Peri parried pickled peppers piled by Peter Piper!
    Characters:
    Pericles Redfoot
    Wings

Comment

I find that this offers a good explanation of how parry works.

Biggest thing about parry? It's broken. If you could parry all the attacks in a flurry, and maybe parry (non-magical) ranged attacks, it wouldn't be so broken.

But, since I have yet to see any monsters with 4+ attacks per round in Sundren, I don't think the flurry bug is all that bad. I tried a parry build once; I had about +17 parry at level 3.

Comment

The Spittlefist Chief gets 4 attacks per round, since he is using a short sword in each hand. I counted one time as he was shredding one of my characters.
        sigpic
        Corvus Corax - Tracker, Scout, Spy, and finder of lost shadows

Comment

Hmm. Many times, I have been shot with an arrow, only to see the message *parried*. Is this just an exciting way of saying "missed", or has it something to do with the Parry skill?

I think it happens more often when I carry shields.
          Characters:
          Pericles Redfoot
          Wings

Comment

But, since I have yet to see any monsters with 4+ attacks per round in Sundren, I don't think the flurry bug is all that bad. I tried a parry build once; I had about +17 parry at level 3.
            Come up to the cold climb with me. I'll introduce you to the Frosty's. I dare you to try out that elf lovin pansy ass parrying stuff on their 3 to 4 attacks per round.

Comment

A quick google search turned up this. According to the 3rd post, the engine will show the "parried" message when an attack would have hit if not for your shield AC. Granted, it's for NWN1, but the facts all seem to line up still.

Comment

Parry seemed to work last time I checked... *Has memories of holding off 4 cartel bandits without getting touched*. I'm positive that was more than 4 incoming attacks per round, and my PC only had 4 (2 for each hand). I'm of the opinion that it's a very handy skill, especially if you have low AC, but you need a pretty high score to make it worthwhile.
                I got one leg missin'
                How do I get around?

One Leg Missin'
                Meet the Feebles

Comment

Ah, but did the Cartels have more than 4 attacker per round per enemy?

Against 4 enemies with 1 attack/round each, it'll work fine. But against 1 enemy with 4 attacks/round, you'll be facing flurries of (2attacks/1attack/1attack). When a flurry has more than 1 attack, parry breaks, because you are only able to parry the first attack of it.

Comment

Lol, I remember Machi's parry skill too
                    How much was it, in the end?
                    Val Evra - Wandmaker and Wanderer

Comment

And Colas with full plate, fully buffed, trying to hit him and by-pass his spoons. Oh the fun.
                      Originally posted by Lollercide
                      Not even Ilmater would suffer Dune and Mach's wrath for us.

Comment

Working...
                      X