Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

weapon choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weapon choice

now im in a bit of a pickle.
    and i hope some of you can help.
    im not so informed on weapons as im mainly a mage player.

now ive decided to play cleric and i cant decide to focus on warhammer or morningstar.

ive got a few questions about the morningstar.
    it dose both bludgeoning and piercing damage, so dose this mean it will cause twice the damage as a warhammer which causes only bludgeoning, if the roll were exactly the same for both weapons?
    i have read that the morning star dose more damage but the warhammer has better crits.
    this may require a complicated answer.
    but id really like to know so i can get the most damage possible.

cheers

I'm more of a "pick which weapon you want your character to wield, not focus on damage" person, but I'll give you some input anyway.

Morningstars do normal 1d8 points of damage with a critical rate of *2 on a net 20 roll. It's considered both bludgeoning and piercing types when striking a creature; it doesn't do extra damage because of its multiple types. Warhammers do 1d8 points with a critical rate of *3 multiplier on a net 20 roll. They, on the other hand, are only the bludgeoning type.

Some creatures are immune to damage types. In the case of multiple damage types on a single weapon (like the morningstar), a creature would have to be immune to both types applicable to stop the damage. If it's only immune to one or the other, the damage will go straight through their guard. So, a morningstar would bypass a skeleton's immunity to piercing and slashing damage, whereas a longsword would not. Savvy?

While the morningstar can bypass more creature immunities, a warhammer cannot. It's only bludgeoning damage, but it also has a higher critical rate. You just have to choose which feature you are willing to sacrifice. To me, weapons are all the same, so I can't slap a label saying, 'This weapon is better for you,' somewhere. Just pick whichever you desire.

Comment

What Nyssis said - plus - if I remember correctly - morningstar counts as a simple weapon, whereas warhammer is a martial weapon, so you'll need to either take the feat or take a level of fighter to use a warhammer.
      Ula Fey Craftswoman, blacksmith, maker of bespoke sharp pointy things.

Comment

Think of it like this, Lallendos; if I hit you with a morningstar, and you're immune to piercing, you're STILL catching the full brunt of the hit from the mass of the weapon.

If you're immune to bashing, you're still catching the full force of the swing through the spikes.

Either way, you're catching the full impact of that swing through one of two ways; negating one does not subtract from the other, it merely makes it more valuable.
        Don't run...you'll only die tired.

Comment

In addition, comparing Neverwinter Nights 2 (or the mainstream Dungeons and Dragons) to an MMO like City of Heroes/Villains is generally going to find poor correllations.

On a side note: City of... is one of those games that is actually more fun to make a character in than actually play. Terribly repeatative gameplay, and rehashed powers than made everything except Masterminds the same as everything else.
          Active
          Reinamar Stormseeker - The bladestorm that must turn back the wind. Arkerym of The People, practitioner of the forgotten art, pariah.

Tyler Penleigh - Obligatory author insert, Red Blade Defender, sarcastic jerk, caring brother, loving fiancé, war criminal.

Retired/Dead
          Eirimil Gaelazair (Dead)- Bitter. Caustic. Abrasive. Egocentric. Probably right. Found dead in the burned-out Viridale forest a few weeks after the survivors were able to sweep the area after the Bloodmaim offensive. Aside from his usual attire, an intricate music box was the only thing in his possession.

Comment

I would pick the warhammer, thor is pretty cool and he has one.

Comment

I'd just go with whatever one you like better or fits your character best

Comment

I vote warhammer....at least you don't have to pick bits and pieces of things you just smashed off of it. It's more like a frying pan; just peel or rinse of the goop and move on. ;D
                Don't run...you'll only die tired.

Comment

Go with the warhammer. They look much more awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Lallendos
                    Wait... are Wet Wipes a magic item in FR?
                    No I thiunk their along the lines of healer kit +3

Comment

haha thanks for the feedback guys.

i do see the tactical advantage in a morningstar but i do like the look of warhammers more, and i do believe that is the way i will go as it will suit my character better.

Comment

Working...
                      X