Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of Rp do you like to Advance your Character?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of Rp do you like to Advance your Character?

Evolution of a character, in my mind, is the primary goal of RP. What do you like in terms of events to advance your character?
    Hit me with big events and earthshattering kabooms!
    12.90%
    Small little steps that give slow, steady growth and guidance
    29.03%
    Emotional turmoil, angst and personal conflict.
    12.90%
    Some mix of the above.
    41.94%
    Nothing, leave me along, I'll hit you when I want to evolve.
    3.23%

The poll is expired.

Bree - Bookkeeper and diplomat of Exigo.

Becky Dragonhin - Sword of the Loyal Fury, Knight of the Triad... the only Good hin in Sundren???
    Cybil Gelley (Retired)
    Perry Turnipfodder - aspiring talent, happy chronicler.

For me, it's just taking unholy Frankensteins of personality and pixels and throwing their little hapless selves into an equally hapless world and watching the resulting fireworks with popcorn.

So I'm not particularly picky of what events to choose. If anything, the main restrictor of the bigger stuff is my somewhat unpredictable availability.
    But please, keep one thing in mind for me. What have you become when even nightmares fear you?
    - Nessa

Comment

Anything that challenges a character's beliefs, convictions, values, or generally forces them to confront themselves is a plus in my book!

Comment

I think we should start building players up to replace some of the holes we're possibly missing? :3

Comment

I enjoy a little of everything; I suppose I am the antagonist most of the time. If anyone has encountered Datton knows this. At the end of the day I enjoy the progression of my PCs and the others around me. I would hope that most are impacted by my RP as I am with theirs.
          Active Characters
          Hashart Datton- Marshal of the Black Hand
          Oliver Ironhide- Guardian
          Lynk Frost-Champion of Bane
          Dorin Hammond- Scout
          Seith Ronson- Master of War
          "A system of morality which is based on relative emotional values is a mere illusion, a thoroughly vulgar conception which has nothing sound in it and nothing true."
          Socrates
          sigpic

Comment

I don't ever really have a preference. Any and all is good with me.
            Olivia Kimaris - Paladin of Lathander and Knight of the Northern Watch
            Diary of Olivia

Originally posted by Cornuto
            Glad everyone's being extra fucking ridiculous today.

Comment

Big Kabooms baby.. I want to be entertained.

There is plenty of opportunity to do the slow and steady steps and the emotional, personal me time things every single day just by turning up on the server and interacting with the other players that are around at the time.

Of course that's not to say or to even suggest that emotional turmoil, angst and personal conflict cannot itself delve to some insane levels of awesomness, but my main concern with those types of events is that whilst they can be incredibly rewarding for the player involved, it can often leave others questioning why they are even at the event at all, to me, personal conflict and such generally suggests a main protagonist likely singular perhaps a duet, and that's all well and good but I kind of want my moments of awesomness to be a shared experience where everyone who wants in can get a good crack and no one gets stuck playing an extra.

When it comes around to those precious moments where an event takes place I want it large, loud and proud, I want to feel pushed to my characters limits to adapt to the situation presented and i'm not just talking about having a dm spawn waves of monsters or anything like that, I want hostage negotiations, serial killers, diplomatic meltdowns, fireworks, drums, parades, portals to other dimensions, hover tanks.. basically I want smoke coming out of my brand new laptop because the event it just finished processing was so awesome it wore the laptop out keeping up with it.

I want to find myself having to work with others to come up with some off the wall, out of the box, hail mary pass type solutions to situations devised by the event team. I want my own creative thinking tested just as much if not even more so than my avatars stat combination.

I want to be able to look back in a year or two and say "hey you remember that one time when X happened and we ended up doing Y and it was so awesome that we couldn't stop going on about it for months?" and even more importantly I want the people i'm asking to say "Hells yeah! that was incredible my mind was totally blown by that whole experience."

I get that a lot of this may seem far fetched and just not even feasible but that's just my preference for events to progress my character, events that let as many folks as possible get stuck in, besides.. getting into events with more people just increases the exposure everyone has to my characters and that to me is it's own kind of personal growth, people will get to see how awesome my characters can be and perhaps their fame will grow because of it (or infamy for that matter)
              Until I can somehow magically discover, hitherto unknown, skills to make a nice looking sig pic to represent my main chrs -

I primarily play Ignus Pyre and Smithy

Comment

Events which allow characters to affect the world in some tangible way.

I would love if there was a forum page somewhere with dynamic stats for factions with things like Resources(+resource income/expend), Troop numbers(+recruitment/dropout rate), Troop training, Wealth(+inc/exp), Morale, Magical resources(+inc/exp), Population(+/-)

You do an event to use your Diplomacy and Cha to gather more troops for the Legion? Next day its reflected in the stats page.

You slaughter five Legion patrols? Legion numbers decrease and Black Hand morale increases etc etc

Of course, the numbers would have to decrease on their own (perhaps by a % over time, i.e. higher numbers drop faster) so that you need to keep putting in effort to keep your faction strong.

Anyway, it would most likely require someone more both more intelligent than me, as well as very good with numbers/demographics to create such a system. If they did I would love them though!
                UTC+8
                Yes, I realise my RP writing sucks. Just be thankful I keep it short

Characters
                Thalanis Moonshadow

Comment

I enjoy it all honestly. The most fun I've had with characters is building them from life experiences that have gotten them to the shores of Sundren at around level three. From there, just evolving as the RP and events dictate. Only draw back is you end up with a Frankenstein build, but they've been the most fun for me.
                  [COLOR=Black][COLOR=Blue][I][B]Landristin Ly[/B][/I][/COLOR][I][B][COLOR=Blue]onstongue[/COLOR][/B][/I]: Ancient, Child of Colibrus. Advisor of Colibrus, Emissary of Sestra, Magistrate of Sestra.

-[I]Not fond of morning walks on the beach.[/I]
                  [/COLOR]

Comment

Went with a mix.

To me, a good story always includes some drama, humor, horror, and a conclusion. And both event lines and characters are a story in their own way.

After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box.

Comment

I prefer a steady build up towards something big as a climax. Something you can look back at years later and go "yea, that was awesome, I still enjoy having been part of it." The big kaboom stuff is more of "Yea, that really big thing happened. Then nothing else did."
                      Tigen Amastacia: Died in events so you didn't have to.

Quintin Ulsteris: Nice-guy Legion engineer, deceased son of House Ulsteris.

Clandriel Cain: AKA "Fire-eyes" AKA "Demon hunter" AKA "OH MY GOD, WHY IS HE STILL STABBING ME!!??"

Comment

I like all the RP, but sometimes I find myself wanting to see an event where everyone taking part has to communicate in song. I like being hit by curve balls like that, such as being forced to talk completely backwards, or the afore mentioned communicating in song. It presents a challenge for me, which I enjoy. Anyone agree with me on this?
                        We can axe if we want to, leave that sword behind. Because your friends don't axe, and if they don't axe then they're no friends of mine.

Comment

I like a mix. My favorite post, from an inspirational stand point on my end, came from a small DM event of little note. It started as a story about teaching a little human girl elven and spawned into something I just really enjoyed writing. A good story can be found in both epic and mundane events.
                          Byrun - Wandering Swordsman
                          Falrenn Silvershade - Shaper of Truths

If you're searching the lines for a point
                          Well, you've probably missed it
                          There was never anything there
                          In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

I'm just a piece on the chessboard here, waiting to be moved. I insert my character's persona and actions into your world, and always look forward to the consequences. Do what would occur naturally in a place like Sundren - I'm here for the ride.
                            Step in front of a runaway train -
                            just to feel alive again.
                            Pushing forward through the night,
                            aching chest and blurry sight.

It's so far, so far away~
                            It's so far, so far away~

Cold wind blows into the skin,
                            can't believe the state you're in.

Comment

I want to be a part of something that I know is going somewhere. Be it through the players involved or motivated by a DMs desires.

The biggest thing that keeps me going is wanting to log in to look forward to something; my characters are always dedicated to what they are attached to. From Slave or Cohort to Bane Mistress or all powerful Wizardess.

I can't stress enough that if someone is bored and wants to RP, just send me a Tell or throw me into a DM event. I love to immerse myself.
                              Last edited by Shadechild; 08-16-2013, 06:34 PM. Reason: Moar
                              Characters:

Elizabeth Brooks
                              Human Cleric of Tyr, Initiate of the Just
                              Vivian Shadechild
                              Wanderer of Innocence and Hugs

Useful Information for Casters:
                              Sundren Spell Costs | Custom Sundren Spells

Comment

Working...
                              X