Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skipping the Auth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skipping the Auth

In your windows/system32/drivers/etc folder there is a file called host. Open that file with notepad and at the bottom put these two lines of text:

0.0.0.0 nw2master.bioware.com
    0.0.0.0 nwn2.master.gamespy.com
    :

Exactly as written on separate lines at the bottom of the document. So far I know it works for Windows 7, Vista and XP. This will skip the annoying Auth time out.
    Lauan - knight of Thay " I have no fear, and death is merely an inconvenience to me. I do not die until ordered to do so, I do not fall until every last bit of life has left me. I stand tall, proud, a Thayan knight."

Adeodatus Exitium -
    "Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart, for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." — James Baldwin

Works like a charm. Thank you so much for this, though I might come to regret losing the time I otherwise spent getting a drink...

Comment

Herp derp. Derpa derp. Deeeeeeerp.

(Works great, thanks.)
      Active
      Reinamar Stormseeker - The bladestorm that must turn back the wind. Arkerym of The People, practitioner of the forgotten art, pariah.

Tyler Penleigh - Obligatory author insert, Red Blade Defender, sarcastic jerk, caring brother, loving fiancé, war criminal.

Retired/Dead
      Eirimil Gaelazair (Dead)- Bitter. Caustic. Abrasive. Egocentric. Probably right. Found dead in the burned-out Viridale forest a few weeks after the survivors were able to sweep the area after the Bloodmaim offensive. Aside from his usual attire, an intricate music box was the only thing in his possession.

Comment

you're a champion. cheers

Comment

This is a godsend. Thanks!

Comment

Sweet. Love your work.

Comment

* bump! * This is very helpful... had to change the file exension when I did it (from .txt to .file), but other than that, worked
              Bree - Bookkeeper and diplomat of Exigo.

Becky Dragonhin - Sword of the Loyal Fury, Knight of the Triad... the only Good hin in Sundren???
              Cybil Gelley (Retired)
              Perry Turnipfodder - aspiring talent, happy chronicler.

Comment

This is awesome.
                -Arcanist Josirah Caranos, Red Wizard of Thay

Comment

It won't let me make any changes to that file (i.e. I can write those two lines in there but can't save). I also can't move or delete the file.

Can save it as .txt file, but then there are two files, the original and the .txt file which I'm assuming won't work?
                  UTC+8
                  Yes, I realise my RP writing sucks. Just be thankful I keep it short

Characters
                  Thalanis Moonshadow

Comment

You'll need to act as an Administrator to save the changes. Sometimes it's as simple as right-clicking on the document and choosing to save that way. Other times you'll have to go through a few wonky steps to make yourself the Administrator and have your OS recognize the change. I've done both on two different computers, so good luck!

Comment

UAC must die
                      "Half the lies they tell about me aren't true."
                      Yogi Berra

Learn things:http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
                      http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Comment

Weird...I am the administrator and always have been, at least according to the account control in Control panel. Still can't modify Windows files. Oh well, not a big deal.
                        UTC+8

Characters
                        Thalanis Moonshadow

Comment

The easiest way is to right click on NotePad and pick the open as administrator then open the file from there and save.
                          Originally posted by Satoshi
                          Boobs > You. Cornuto: 0 Cat: 1
                          Originally posted by Cornuto
                          Glad everyone's being extra fucking ridiculous today.

Comment

Search "cmd" (without the quotes). Right-click the icon and choose "Run as administrator."

Type the following:

net user administrator /active:yes

(The spaces between the words above are intentional and necessary.)

Log out, then log in as that spiffy new "Administrator" account you haven't seen before. Navigate to the host file, make the changes, save it, log out as administrator, log back in under your normal user profile. If you want that Administrator profile to go away, go back into your command prompt ("Run as administrator") and enter

net user administrator /active:no

That'll make it disappear from the log-in screen if you so desire.
                            Originally posted by Cornuto
                            Glad everyone's being extra fucking ridiculous today.

Comment

For anyone else having problems modifying their "hosts" file, check your Anti-virus software. Mine had a checkbox for "Protect Windows hosts files from changes"

When unticked, I had no problem changing the file! Awesome, thanks Gamling!
                              UTC+8

Characters
                              Thalanis Moonshadow

Comment

Working...
                              X