Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calculating bow damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating bow damage?

Well, I have a level 3 ranger specializing in ranged.

I have noticed that my longbow damage is 1d8 + 3. I have no idea where the +3 is coming from and was curious if someone could clue me in.

Before you ask, no my bow does not have mighty. My str modifier is +2 and my Dex modifier is +4.

The only feats I have at the moment are Point Blank Shot and Weapon Focus (Longbow)... and the rapid shot feat i get from ranger.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
    Shane

It's probably either your Point-Blank Shot feat or your selected Favored Enemy.
    Maia Nanethiel ~ Moon Elf Female Ranger

Comment

Not sure if it is in or not, but rangers in 3.5 has a feat named "bow strength", so that they actually add their strength to all bow shots automatically.
      Jaythen Auraya, wandering healer and herbalist. Also sligthly mad.

Comment

*choke* No, I'm sorry, but that's totally wrong Ralek.

Bow Strength is a feat added in the Dungeons & Dragons Online MMORPG in an effort to make rangers the best ranged bow attackers. It made it so that Rangers was the only class that could apply their strength bonus to damage with bows (it wasn't dependent on the Mighty attribute).

The only way you can have a strength bonus applied to a bow in Neverwinter Nights 2 is through possession of a bow with the mighty attribute - and so far I've only seen the Composite Shortbow +1, the Composite Longbow+1 and the Feytouched Bow having it. Otherwise, it is impossible for you to add your strength modifier to the bow's attack.

At level 3, I do not expect you to have had the gold to buy any of those weapons (3000+ gp) - so, it cannot be your strength modifier.

This makes your sources for damage be the following:
        > Point-Blank Shot (+1 to hit and damage, and can fire in a melee without penalty)
        > Favored Enemy Damage Bonus (+1 damage to a certain enemy type)
        > Arrows +1 (adding +1 to hit and to damage)

Comment

Yet, bows sucked in DDO
          Faerayorn Zargoth II - Nobleman, wizard and swordsman

Deth'amaendul Amastacia - Halberd weilding sun elven, sun elf hating warrior.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoberraz View Post
            *choke* No, I'm sorry, but that's totally wrong Ralek.

Bow Strength is a feat added in the Dungeons & Dragons Online MMORPG in an effort to make rangers the best ranged bow attackers. It made it so that Rangers was the only class that could apply their strength bonus to damage with bows (it wasn't dependent on the Mighty attribute).

The only way you can have a strength bonus applied to a bow in Neverwinter Nights 2 is through possession of a bow with the mighty attribute - and so far I've only seen the Composite Shortbow +1, the Composite Longbow+1 and the Feytouched Bow having it. Otherwise, it is impossible for you to add your strength modifier to the bow's attack.

At level 3, I do not expect you to have had the gold to buy any of those weapons (3000+ gp) - so, it cannot be your strength modifier.

This makes your sources for damage be the following:
            > Point-Blank Shot (+1 to hit and damage, and can fire in a melee without penalty)
            > Favored Enemy Damage Bonus (+1 damage to a certain enemy type)
            > Arrows +1 (adding +1 to hit and to damage)
            Ack! It seems I had it wrong, then. My bad

I don't think bows sucked badly in DDO...my little level 5 rogue kicked ass with her shortbow.
            Jaythen Auraya, wandering healer and herbalist. Also sligthly mad.

Comment

Yeah, I thought my level 4 ranger archer was pretty good at it too.

Anyhow, I really don't think the longbow could have showed that it did 1d8+3 damage on the character screen unless is was a +1 Composite and that I very much doubt.

Alternatively, though, maybe you mixed this up with you holding a longsword with both hands. With Str 14, this would give you a 1d8+3 damage potential.

Comment

I had this same question on a previous server. And the answer I got is NWN 2 treats bows as 2 handed wepons. So it shows the +3 but doesn't actually get added into damage. Unless of course ya have a composite bow.

K
                Nobody ever won a war by dying for his country. Wars are won by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his.- George S. Patton

Raknyfyn Luelve'tner-Wood Elf Ranger

Comment

Originally posted by Zoberraz View Post
                  Yeah, I thought my level 4 ranger archer was pretty good at it too.

Anyhow, I really don't think the longbow could have showed that it did 1d8+3 damage on the character screen unless is was a +1 Composite and that I very much doubt.

Alternatively, though, maybe you mixed this up with you holding a longsword with both hands. With Str 14, this would give you a 1d8+3 damage potential.
                  No, I'm quite certain I am holding a BASIC longbow. It's the only weapon I have. Also, as stated in my original post, my STR modifier is +2 (12 STR).

I can screenshot if you wish.

Originally posted by Guywise View Post
                  I had this same question on a previous server. And the answer I got is NWN 2 treats bows as 2 handed wepons. So it shows the +3 but doesn't actually get added into damage. Unless of course ya have a composite bow.

K
                  I am getting the damage bonus. I know I've hit double digits without a crit.

Shane

Comment

Sounds like a possible bug to me.
                    Banana.

Comment

I just had a second look, and I get the very same 1d8 +3 on my character sheet when equipping a long bow with my character. Point Blank Shot feat, 14 STR (not a ranger at all). Haven't tested if the damage is applied in combat--that is, looking for damage of less than 4 against foes with no damage reduction. This would be the next step to see what is actually happening.

Wouldn't be suprised to see that the engine is showing the bow as a two-handed weapon, as stated in a previous post. Whether or not the damage bonus is there without a mighty bow is the real question.

Comment

In AD&D, bow damage is calculated like so...

Arrow damage + bow magical bonus + feats damage
                        E.g
                        Fire arrow 1d8+1d6 + Longbow +2 + Point Blank Shot(30ft +1)
                        = 1d8+1d6+2+1

The Mighty Composite Longbow is the same as composite longbow. Only difference is its bonus can go beyond +4. Thats why Mighty Composite Longbow shows its bonus as +4 plus any additional bonus.
                        E.g Mighty Composite Longbow +1 = +5

For bow users, in order to use bows with bonuses, you must have Strength with required bonus rating.
                        E.g To use a longbow +2, you must have at least Str 13 to use.
                        Str 12-13 +1
                        Stre 14-15 +2 so on....

In AD&D v3.5 rules, bonuses from arrows and bows don't stack together.
                        E.g Longbow +2 and arrow +2 = 1d8+2
                        If both have bonuses, the bow's bonuses is used. However, if the arrow have other magical properties, its still counted.
                        E.g Longbow +2 and arrow +1 with acid(1d8) = 1d8+2+1d8(acid)

Comment

Aeolus, you're cool people and everything. But this post was from march. These people aren't going to end up reading this XD

Comment

I'm seeing the same thing and Aeolus' post didn't answer the question (it's my question too). I have a 14 strength, not a ranger and has a normal longbow. It displays +3 for damage. Unsure if that what the damage actually is but it seems like it.

I"m asking because if that's the case, I won't buy a composite longbow (expensive!) unless there's another advantage.
                            characters:
                            Jos'iah Ithildurin - Semper, a guardian of Haldemar. "One should always be faithful"
                            Elijah - Warrior Mage and Legionairre of Sundren. "My axe and my magic will cleave you!"
                            Duskthorne - Bounty Hunter. "Every land needs a masked man to do the dirty work for them" (personal heroes: The Knight of the Flying Rodent and The Monk of the Arachnid Order)

Comment

It is an Obsidian Bug.
                              sigpic
                              Corvus Corax - Tracker, Scout, Spy, and finder of lost shadows

Comment

Working...
                              X