Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use Magic Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use Magic Device

Could someone tell me how the Use Magic Device skill functions exactally in NWN2? I tried testing it in the OC and I can't figure it out... (I tried it crossclass on a fighter/weaponmaster)...

I want to know what I'm getting into/plan ahead before I invest any more skillpoints on my character... though I realise the points he already has will be good for RP & all... I'd like to know what the actual mechanical use is... and how to do do so

Thanks!
    Ethric Urmbrusk - Noble Dreadmaster
    Fulk of Helmsport - Faithful Soldier
    Cornelius Faustus - Scytheful Scribe
    Komeigyu Shoon Ieyasu - Exarch's Samurai
    Tahlatril Auvrealylth - Ace of Blades
    Elizabella Talmost - Sunite Sorceress
    Lucretia Valentine - Shadowy Seductress
    Haraldir Ironshield - Fallen Dwarven Defender
    Justin Cecilius - The Next Great Blind Paladin
    Hazlok Flass - Necromancer's Apprentice
    Xander Magnus - Right Hand Enforcer
    Zilabamuzale of Mezro - Guardian of Ubtao

In NWN2 in general, or in Sundren?

I'm assuming NWN2 in general so...

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Use_magic_device

Essentially it varies item on item, and is a lot to retype, it's all covered by the wiki article.

Edit:
    On Sundren a recent update set scroll difficulty as DC20+Spell level, wands to a flat DC20.
    It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
    Sydney Smith.

Comment

Does your ranks have to equal or excede the DC? Do you get to take a 20? take a 10? I can't even seem to try to equip/use things to get a roll even when there's a chance I could make a dc20 since I've got 5 ranks...
      Ethric Urmbrusk - Noble Dreadmaster
      Fulk of Helmsport - Faithful Soldier
      Cornelius Faustus - Scytheful Scribe
      Komeigyu Shoon Ieyasu - Exarch's Samurai
      Tahlatril Auvrealylth - Ace of Blades
      Elizabella Talmost - Sunite Sorceress
      Lucretia Valentine - Shadowy Seductress
      Haraldir Ironshield - Fallen Dwarven Defender
      Justin Cecilius - The Next Great Blind Paladin
      Hazlok Flass - Necromancer's Apprentice
      Xander Magnus - Right Hand Enforcer
      Zilabamuzale of Mezro - Guardian of Ubtao

Comment

Equipping items is based off the ranks you have in the skill. Using spell completion items (scrolls,wands,etc) is when you roll.
        James Arrow: Potion Vendor

Comment

I hate to drag this up, but I'm slightly confused as to how it works as well. I have a daze scroll in my inventory, and I want to cast it with 8 ranks in UMD. How do I do so?
          Characters:
          Peridan Twilight, one-eyed dog of the Legion, deceased.
          Daniel Nobody, adventurer and part time problem solver.

[DM] Poltergeist :
          If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge an intermediate deity's unbridled fury.

Comment

It's about 20 + spell level to attempt I think (then it's a 50 50 chance)

so daze... you'd need 10 just to attempt it.
            Bree - Bookkeeper and diplomat of Exigo.

Becky Dragonhin - Sword of the Loyal Fury, Knight of the Triad... the only Good hin in Sundren???
            Cybil Gelley (Retired)
            Perry Turnipfodder - aspiring talent, happy chronicler.

Comment

Even worse, I think its 25 + spell level.
              Originally posted by Saulus
              Stop playing other shitty MMOs and work on Sundren, asshole.

Comment

...Does anyone else think that kind of requirement to cast a level 0 spell is a little much?
                Characters:
                Peridan Twilight, one-eyed dog of the Legion, deceased.
                Daniel Nobody, adventurer and part time problem solver.

[DM] Poltergeist :
                If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge an intermediate deity's unbridled fury.

Comment

Perhaps they're trying to make it so it's difficult for non-casters to cast spells? I'm not sure what the actual reasoning was for the decision to make such a high DC, so I'm hesitant to denounce it across the board.

But, from what it appears to be, yeah, it seems not just a little too much, but a lot too much. With the new system of cheaper spell scroll and spell wand costs, I thought it'd open it up for non-casters to buy more of such from others, and even be able to use them with UMD.

It could help a lot of non-casters with some of the problems that have been noted on the boards. Of course, not every non-caster will have UMD, but some will.

It'd probably make wands and scrolls a lot more feasible for others if the UMD requirement comes down.

But as mentioned, perhaps there are particular reasons as to why it's so high. Is it that high in Vanillla NWN2?

Comment

In PnP, it's 20 + spell level, though I can't remember if it's 20 or 25, here.

NWN 2's UMD is dumb; in days gone by, PvP on Sundren would turn in to both sides casting Drown on each other from scrolls until someone failed a save. You needed only a few points in UMD to bust out scroll action, and it was really dumb.

If the UMD is 20 + spell level, it's to keep it in line with PnP. If it's 25+, it's a game balance issue.
                    Originally posted by Cornuto
                    Glad everyone's being extra fucking ridiculous today.

Comment

It's 20+Level here.. *points up the thread*
                      It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
                      Sydney Smith.

Comment

Relevant to such, how is the DC of a scroll cast spells determined? Is it just 10+the spell scroll's level? Or does it add in modifiers for such things as caster ability scores? And if so, how does it do such?

As to Drown, I find that both amusing, and a bit unsurprising. No matter what, some people who can take any tactical advantage will do just that.

While if the server was entirely and explicitly PnP touted, I could understand this viewpoint, I don't view this server as being hardcore PnP. Especially when it comes to magic.

Considering we have spells like Word of Faith still, and Warmachine Clerics that are resting every ten minutes. I'd like to just be abundantly clear I'm not denouncing either, or saying it's terribly unbalanced, etc.

Simply that I don't really see it as being that huge of a balance issue, as it might be in PnP.

Now, after doing a little research, I did come across a bug, according to the NWN2 Wiki:

A Wizard, Sorcerer, or Bard that has enough points in this skill to turn a red (unusable) scroll to white (useable) can use the scroll without making a skill check. This will happen regardless of the gameplay difficulty level. The reason why this is a bug is that with this ability, they can use Cleric, Druid, Ranger, or Paladin scrolls without fail and without making a skill check. According to PnP rules, a skill check would be required in this situation.
                        I wonder if this is partially why it was done as such, so that the minimum to even use a scroll is higher? So that way Arcanists aren't just shooting out divine spells all willy-nilly with minimum investment into the UMD skill?

If it is, indeed, just because of PnP, fair enough. I'm all for more things becoming dramatically more PnPed. But I believe one could view this as a poignant example of disabling the capabilities of some non-casters of trying to level out their capabilities. Especially since it's not like it's cheap to continually buy a ton of scrolls from others (if they can even find the right people with Scribe Scroll).

Comment

I have a question.

I have the Boots of "Way of the Wyvren". They appraise at 9802.

I have 9 ranks of UMD and 12 charisma total skill of 10 and the boots are red to me.

The NWN2 Wiki says 10 ranks you can use up to 17,000 worth of item and class ranks do not increase this difficulty.

I cast Eagles Spender (16 charisma now) and the boots are not red but still I get the error "you do not have the required class levels to use this device".

Any thoughts?

I ponder if the total ranks is what is needed so 10 ranks with no stat bonus. So ES or GH do not factor in.

Thanks for any help!
                          Primary PC: Samuel

Comment

A lot of Sundren items are limited to specific classes for balance purposes and to encourage people to stick to one class. Use Magic Device would let you use this item, if not for these class restrictions, which take priority.

Generally, any item that has text at the top of the description saying Use Limitation: Class (X levels) can not be bypassed by use magic device. Items where the Use Limitation is in the properties section (not at the top) and in regular black text can be used through Use Magic Device.

Comment

That is odd because I have a smuggler's bag and that has

User limitation Rogue (4)

but I can use it.

I mentioned this to Incognito.

Possible bug?
                              Primary PC: Samuel

Comment

Working...
                              X