Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toolset puttering.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toolset puttering.

It's been a while since I've played with the toolset. I had a module (40mb in NWN) that I converted to NWN2 and started working on when it was first released, but in between a few updates, it got gibbled and I had to start over again (a couple of times). Of course I got frustrated and stopped for a while.

What I want to know now is if it's gotten better, and what ia good size for a (LARGE) module might be. Currently I have each town (2 of them), the area around the towns, and the two big nasty dungeons seperated in different modules.

Question now. Is the toolset stable enough now that I could work on all of them again as one unit so I don't have to worry as much about a campaign, or should I continue as is and work on each in module separately?

By the way, I'm tyring to work on The Temple of Elemental Evil .... again.
    Bree - Bookkeeper and diplomat of Exigo.

Becky Dragonhin - Sword of the Loyal Fury, Knight of the Triad... the only Good hin in Sundren???
    Cybil Gelley (Retired)
    Perry Turnipfodder - aspiring talent, happy chronicler.

Toolset still crashes often. Sundren in its entirety is a single module, so the size thing shouldn't be an issue.

Only advice to give is to save often

And make backups every now and again.

Comment

Is Sundren big enough for your taste?

I don't have any problems with the toolset and i would say that i am pushing it quite far. No crashes and i cannot remeber that it screwed something up rencently. And the performance is OK even when you open the whole Sundren module.

But testing your results is no fun with such a huge module as it takes quite long till the game has read such a huge module. So i usually do most of my work in an small module and import it into the main module once most of the work is done.

Comment

Temple of Elemental Evil eh? cool, I loved the remake! (one of the few who liked the turn based approach)
        Originally posted by roguethree
        If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

The reason I hate the toolset sometimes...

ON saving the module...

System Argument Null Exception: Value cannot be null.
          Paramter name: output
          at System IO.BinaryWriter.ctor(Strem output, Enconding encoding)
          at OEIShared IO.GFF.GFFFile.Save(Stream cStream)
          at
          NWN2Toolset.NWN2Data Blutprints.OEI Serialize(Stream cStream)
          atNWNToolset.NWN2Data.Bluprints.OEISerialize()

* drop kicks the computer through the goal posts of life *

Becky Dragonhin - Sword of the Loyal Fury, Knight of the Triad... the only Good hin in Sundren???
          Cybil Gelley (Retired)

Comment

On a different note, same idea... Is it better to save as a Module File or Dir?

Cybil Gelley (Retired)

Comment

For the error message: Just keep saving until you dont' get it, preferably while any area files are not open. Once you don't get the message, then close the toolset.

Module Directory is quicker, and is a MUST when you start dealing with hundreds of areas. Mod is a container file format for all the individual files you find in directory mode, thereby it is slower, both opening and saving.
              The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

It stops working on me before I get a chance to save it (there are a lot of those errors popping up and I have to hold down the esc key). Anyway, I'm using the file version and it's slower, as you said, but seems more stable.

I'm also trying to get the rws_creature hak to work, but it isn't giving me any new appearances for monsters (have the rws erf too). I can't figure that one out, unless it doesn't work with file and only works with the dir - which doesn't make a lot of sense to me....

Cybil Gelley (Retired)

Comment

Working...
                X