Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Druidic books.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Druidic books.

These manuscripts are hand-delivered to a publisher with the following note:
    “To whom it may concern,
    I am interested in publishing these books as a series and I am willing to pay for all the costs of printing. I do not desire the royalties from the sale of said books if they are disbursed to vendors. If you wish to discuss the costs I can usually be found at the Druid grove or the Exigo trade tier."

It is signed simply:

"~Llew Hy~"

((PM me if you would like some stags for this or think something should be changed, or give me a heads up if you think it’s a crap idea and should be trashed. Also, let me know if you think it would be better as one book, but keep in mind if people actually like them I would be willing to write more.))

**** On The Natural Balance. Book One. ****
    This book is the first of a series of oratorical styled theses on Druid philosophy. Although it is mostly in Common a few chapters appear to have been written in Druidic and were perhaps intended for a select few. The first page simply says “1371 D.R. by L.H.”.

Excerpts:

From Chapter One:
    “Balance. To many, this word brings up imagery of complete neutrality. Many of us picture the Scales that are frozen in time in the hands of Lady Justice. However, this is a misnomer. The Balance is much more complicated: it is a constantly changing and evolving set of circumstances. It would be more suitable perhaps to imagine the balance as a pendulum. Rather than see the balance as a neutral ‘middle-ground’ between law and chaos or civilization and nature, we must realize that each exists in-turn. For example, as the pendulum swings to the left we have law and justice to an extreme, tyrannical extent. But this tyranny will undoubtedly lead to revolt and as the pendulum swings back to the right; the people will shed the tyranny and descend into chaos. And as the pendulum swings to the left once more the people will gradually become law-abiding yet again. Our place then -- as guardians of this balance -- is not to keep the lands in a state of neutrality, but to ensure that the cycle continues uninterrupted. If the lands become over-civilized it is our responsibility to return some of it to nature. If the governing body becomes a dictatorship, crushing the freedoms and lives of men and women, we must be the ones to encourage revolt and then again to stem the tides of lawlessness when this chaos has run its course.”
    **** On Death and Dying. Book Two. ****
    This book is the second of a series of oratorical styled theses on Druid philosophy. Although it is mostly in Common a few chapters appear to have been written in Druidic and were perhaps intended for a select few. The first page simply says “1372 D.R. by L.H.”.

Excerpts:

From The Preface:
    “One of the most difficult decisions we have to make as Druids is what our responsibility is to the balance when we see someone dying. Our gods grant us powers over Death, allowing us to heal and restore, but we must remember that Death has an important place in the balance. The most basic cycle in nature is that of the circle of life: all creatures are born, and – with few exceptions – all creatures die. Without this mortality Faerun would quickly become over-populated and the humanoid races would rape the lands and destroy all natural habitation. Therefore we have an obligation to the balance to resist our natural inclination to heal the sick unless it is for the greater good.”

From Chapter Two:
    “… Thus, we must all hold the art of Necromancy in the utmost contempt. To die and live again -- unless a blessing of a divine power – is a mockery of the natural balance. It is akin to slapping the gods in the face that a man (or woman) would be proud enough to think his will greater than theirs, and to furthermore undo their works in returning to life a being they commanded unto Death. As guardians of the balance we must then consider Necromancers, as well as their servants (Living or Undead) our enemies. There is no place in the balance for either."
    **** On Politics and Diplomacy. Book Three. ****
    This book is the third of a series of oratorical styled theses on Druid philosophy. Although it is mostly in Common a few chapters appear to have been written in Druidic and were perhaps intended for a select few. The first page simply says “1372 D.R. by L.H.”.

Excerpts:

From Chapter One:
    “… Therefore, as we are children of all Faerun and not obligated to claim citizenship in any land, we also do not have a responsibility to serve Kings, Lords, or any Nobility. We are servants, instead, to our gods directly. To serve a nobleman would be to forsake your duty to the balance as well as your god. For a Druid to claim himself as a citizen of any nation or a servant of any King would cause him to become biased, favoring his own country or king over any other, and furthermore over the balance.”

From Chapter Four:
    “It is not our responsibility to participate in the wars of Kings and Nations. Never shall a true Druid serve the King’s coffers or fight that he may expand his territory. Nor is it ever prudent for a Druid to fight in a war of any kind unless it is absolutely necessary for the sake of the balance. Whether a war is claimed to be for ‘Righteousness’ or the ‘Good of the People’ it is almost undoubtedly backed by a King or a Church and driven by other ulterior motives and thus; for a Druid to back such a war he would also be supporting those motives.”

From Chapter Five:
    “It is indeed entirely sensible -- and can often be quite beneficial -- for a Druid to act as counsel for a King or other Nobility. As Druids we can often be counted on as ‘Problem-Solvers’ due to our high intuition and logic skills, therefore, if given an opportunity to have our opinions heard by people of power it can be rewarding to all parties. And furthermore, it also allows us greater control over a region that we might use the position to safeguard the balance. But, of course, it should be remembered that the position cannot place the Druid in a subservient position to the King.”

Working...
X