Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Call to Duty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Call to Duty

Cold sweat beaded on his forehead as he walked. His mind was a flutter with so many things… It had been three weeks since his brother died in Sestra and although he was pained for the loss he also understood his duty. His father had been a successful fish monger in Port Avanthyr nearly his whole life, and although Noris served his lord Torm, the taxes were paid by his and his father’s fish business. It was his father’s brother who had fulfilled his family’s duty before, and now with the death of his brother Noris was next to serve. He was nearing thirty-five and his blond hair showed sparse gray throughout. His face was tanned slightly, weathered like leather, but he managed to keep his face clean shaven. In these dire times he was almost certain he wouldn’t be turned away, but before making this walk he had made a few others, proving himself to the exigo at their expedition camp, and serving the watch against the lizard menace.

Each step brought a new, yet familiar sound of metal clicking and steel shifting. He wiped the back of his hand across his brow and steadied himself once more before passing through the city gate. The sounds of the trade district were diverse and many. People were heckling for a better price, and venders waggled fingers in protest and objection. No more than a score of paces ahead was the legion recruiter. The recruiter in the trade district was a woman, and although he wasn’t raised in a home where women were allowed to join the military he understood the notion, almost bitterly. Noris approached her with as confident an air as he could muster.

The recruiter smirked in a friendly manner at Noris, who stood in a rather interesting mismatch of armor, some new, some apparently family heirloom, around his neck hung proudly a symbol of Torm, God of Law and Duty. His family had been loyal followers of Torm for untold generations, but it was Noris who had actively taken up clerical work, sometimes serving at the docks, mending fellow fishermen, and harbor men. “Afternoon lady at arms,” he said politely and nodded to the woman’s scrutiny.

“I come to serve in the legion,” he declared confidently, and before she could respond he began his list of achievements and abilities. "My name is Noris Gerhart, loyal of Torm, born of Port Avanthyr, and duty bound to serve the legion as my brother did until his passing three weeks ago." “I am skilled in the art of healing and know my way better than most with bandages and salve." "I have aided the exigo syndicate in the Sharan hills and the City watch with the Lizard infestation." "I’m not much for combat, but Torm has blessed me to keep others from harm. If the legion will have me, I shall prove a dedicated field medic.”

He Finished his long run of words and looked forward at attention, the sweat had began to bead on his forehead again…
    A mans duty may only be questioned once it is done. - Noris Gerhart
Working...
X