Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birth of a Senate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth of a Senate

Word goes out across the valley, bards and minstrels all with a joyful tune upon their lips: Emperor Verinus Nautius has announced the creation of an Imperial Senate. Born of the Emperor's firm belief in the responsible use of power, he has declared the birth of this branch of power in a speech outside the Imperial Palace:

"My brothers and sisters, fellow Sundarians. Today, we celebrate the inception of a guarantee of our freedoms, wrested away from the tyrannical Black Hand's clawing grasp. You, the people, have spoken during this necessary time of Imperial rule and I have listened to your cries with regretful ears. I have always wanted to relinquish the power that I am burdened with, for I am a simple commander thrust into a position of power during a time of war.

And now, I can release that power to your fellows, the other leaders of this city who can listen even closer to your needs and desires. I announce the creation of this Senate in order to effectuate effective legislation that originates in your homes, in your shops, and in your streets. A man will be able to put forth his ideas to his fellows without needing to slog through Imperial bureaucracy. They can simply speak and be heard, as any free man should!

The individuals who will hold seats in the Senate will be elected by the people within their districts by a majority vote. Of course, those who take part in the Senate must have the necessary skills to understand the issues of the district; they must be a singular voice that speaks for the people. Therefore, an individual must not engage in banking or any form of public contract. They cannot personally own a transport that is large enough to participate in foreign commerce. In addition, such service should be that: service. The Senate will not be paid any degree of sum while in office, preserving the integrity of the system.

However, there will be yet another guiding force on the Senate to keep it from drifting off course. I shall remain your humble Emperor, and retain a veto in any legislation that comes before the Senate. What's more, I will not repeat the mistakes of the Arbiters, and I will be your general and leader in times of war to prevent the kind of squabbling that lead to the Second Bloodmaim Wars.

Further, I have spoken with a representative from Sestra. Yes, our hated enemy, home of the Black Hand and Banite torturers and slavers. Grand Marshal Datton, a warrior whom we have battled many times and leader of the town, has expressed a wish to enter negotiations with Sundren for a cease-fire of hostility. I do not trust this man, my people. But, I believe there is some truth in his words as to the pointless battle between our nation-states. He has promised to remove the terrorist cells that have littered his domain in return for this potential peace. Only time will tell as to his actions, but I believe that we are taking a first step towards a if not unified, then at least prosperous valley.

Perhaps in our lifetimes there will be peace in the valley, true peace. I have spoken with not only the Sestran representative, but representatives from Aquor and Avanthyr as well. We have agreed to create a Regional Council, one that governs the roads and trade that serve as the lifeblood for all of us. No longer will caravans fear the road to Aquor. No longer will new arrivals to our great nation wonder if they'll live to see the majestic towers of Mundus. The Council will allay all these fears, and more with the aid of the Helmite Church.

I say this to you, my friends. My family. Today is a day of celebration, for we have finally taken our first steps on the road to peace."
    The crowds that are present for the speech are wildly enthusiastic, word spreading like wildfire across Sundren City and then the valley. But even in the wake of such good news, there is doubt. Word has it that Harold Hellstrom, patriarch of the van Hellstrom family, has succumbed to sickness. The van Hellstrom holdings in Exigo were in turn purchased by the Imperial Family, near bankrupting the formerly powerful nobles.

What's more, there are rumors that the Knight Penitent, Darius Blackwell, has vanished from the face of the valley. Wild rumors, exaggerated no doubt, place him fighting anything from demons to dragons and riding off for parts unknown. The truth is yet uncertain.

What is known, is that Colibrus worship has dried up practically overnight. Reports across the valley say that shrines to the Blood God have been either defiled or vanished entirely. People are cautiously optimistic that the bloodsucking fiends have gone entirely. Others less so, and say that they are merely biding their time for a more chaotic valley to wreck havoc once more.
    "Use the Force, Harry" -Gandalf
Working...
X