Name: Aloysius Grey
Birthplace: Mosstone, Tethyr
Deity: Helm, Milil
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Aloysius was born to Malcolm and Lina Grey in their country home near Mosstone. His name, which means "famous warrior", was given to him in honor of his grandfather, Errol Chatwood, who died defending the town from marauders. This would early on instill a sense of pride and heroism in Aloysius.
When Aloysius was nine, the town once again came under attack from marauders hiding in the nearby forests. While Lina Grey defended their home and son, Malcolm Grey left with the militia of Mosstone to deal with the invaders. He fought bravely, but eventually suffered the same fate as his father-in-law. Lina and her mother, Dierdre, were left to raise the child alone.
As he grew older, Aloysius became convinced that he was the latest of a breed of heroes, thanks to stories told to him by his grandmother. He invented all manner of stories and adventures with himself as the star. When he turned 19, he suddenly decided that he absolutely had to set out to make a name for himself.
He gathered his savings and set out without any word but a note, terrifying his mother and grandmother. He traveled to Velen and chose a boat at random; it turned out to be the Sea Sword, which took him to Sundren. Now Aloysius struggles between his preconceived notions of what a hero is and what an adventurer really needs to be.
- Aloysius's so-called "Grey Family Grand Art of Master Swordsmanship" is actually what little his father managed to teach him before he died. It is slightly modified to suit his flamboyant style.
- His grandmother, Dierdre Chatwood, is an accomplished archer. She passed on her skills to her husband and daughter, and Lina passed it on to her son. He is generally a better archer than swordsman, but prefers the sword.
- Traditionally, both the Chatwood and Grey families worship Helm, the Vigilant One. Aloysius still worships Helm, but also pays tribute to Milil in the hopes that great songs will be written about him.
- Aloysius is terrified of spiders.
- He enjoys dancing and showboating, which he incorporates into his swordplay (with varying degrees of success). If he has grown up without his delusions of grandeur, he likely would have become a performer.
- For all his lies and trickery, Aloysius means well and is good-natured. He regards any friends he makes as steadfast allies. However, this will not prevent him from accidentally striking them in combat (or while practicing).
In action, it becomes clear that Aloysius is a huge fraud. However, he is an excellent liar, possibly because he almost believes the things he makes up. So far, he has tried to impress people by telling them that he...
- ...eradicated an entire colony of gnolls.
- ...has run through 100 goblins with his blade.
- ...single-handedly slew a dragon somewhere in Amn.
- ...rescued three beautiful maidens from an evil temple in Waterdeep.