Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neverwinter Nights Podcast Episode 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neverwinter Nights Podcast Episode 9

http://neverwinternightspodcast.com/?p=27

Listener Feedback:
    • DaNippers [Comments]
    • Mike from the UK [ODEO]
    Mod Spotlight: Rogue Dao Studios Planescape Triliogy: Purgatorio [NWN2]
    Community News:
    • New staff positions, beta, and patch 104 at Sundren Project [NWN2]
    • Dragonlance Movie [Site]
    • New Module Releases for NWN and NWN2
    • NWN2 Dedicated Server speculations
    Community Spotlight: A new NWN2 community at Theives Guild.Net [NWN2]
    Tip of the Week: Spell Casting Ability Scores

Main Topic: Mike Wiemholt Interview NWN2Mod.com
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

I really hope that DragonLance movie gets off the ground. I'm a huge fan of DL, and I think the first series could make a great movie.
    Character(s)
    >Olin Lavith - Human scholar with a passion for knowledge.

Don't change the color to match the walls. Look like you belong and the walls will change color to match you.
    ?Kender Proverb, Time of the Twins

Comment

Was a fun interview, I enjoyed it

Comment

Not a huge fan of DL myself even tho I love to kick Raistlins ass in a spellduel with my PnP mage. Anything that is in the DnD realm is always good.

Rogue Player:
        Ok, I'll tell you what. I'll give you one gold for every door you open here in Undermountain.

Fighter Player: Hmmm..you got yourself a deal

DM: *grins*

*Actual happening in PnP D&D*

Comment

Originally posted by Cha0ticGoblin View Post
          ...Anything that is in the DnD realm is always good.
          From what I've heard, D&D movies have always bombed. Always. Yet movies like Eragon seem to sell well... Interesting...
          Character(s)
          >Olin Lavith - Human scholar with a passion for knowledge.

Don't change the color to match the walls. Look like you belong and the walls will change color to match you.
          ?Kender Proverb, Time of the Twins

Comment

Originally posted by Abyss View Post
            From what I've heard, D&D movies have always bombed. Always. Yet movies like Eragon seem to sell well... Interesting...
            I thought Eragon was pretty good. But I didnt read the book, which always helps.
            aka Ashercon - Join us at neverwinternightspodcast.com

Comment

Originally posted by Abyss View Post
              That might have something to do with the qualities of the movies. While I haven't seen Eragon, and I've mostly heard that it's pretty bad, I can't imagine it can even come close to the massive suckage that was the Dungeons and Dragons movie. That is in the running for the worst movie I've ever seen.

Comment

Eragon is a movie based on a novel written by a 15 year old. What else can possibly be expected.
                The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Eragon is also a novel written by a 15 year old who was influenced by harry pot head, star wars, dragons and just about every other thing related past-hence. Un-original.
                  Er, heh. But then I guess you all already know that. Shame the public didn't or they'd pat the kid on the head and go: That's an accomplishment you wrote a novel at 15. Now try for something original when you're older.

But anyways D&D movies. We all know that curse. Don't know if it being animated will help it though? Guess time will tell. It took LoTR several animated attempts and then it went big as an actual movie. Could be the opposite for D&D.
                  There's a thin line between the definition of genius and insanity; I cross it all the time.

Comment

Let's be honest, D&D isn't exactly brimming over with quality stories to work with for a movie. The reason D&D is great is not because it is a well designed world that is rich in logical evolution of society. It's not because the engine mechanics are so realistic that is captures the essence of physics in pens and paper. And it's definitely not because there are somehow endless dungeons with monsters that don't seem to need sustenance and have nothing better to do but horde endless treasures. It's because the world would needs the help of a handful of adventurers that consist of an C/E rogue who robs the rest of the party while they sleep between treks through the realm, while the chaotic barbarian is in the tavern trying to pick up on women, arguing how CHA doesn't equate to looks as he rolls his d20 to see how many times he can drink shots without passing out. Meanwhile there's a wizard scrying on them both who is so skilled with magic he can unlock the entirety of the weave by age 20, can unleash hell balls on the world, but doesn't have enough spot to realize that he had been robbed by the rogue they all thought was best to bring along because somehow this wizard isn't enough firepower to destroy traps setup in a cave. And somehow, a Drow found themselves in the party and laments the fact that he comes from an evil society because his player thought he was being original by making a Drow who broke away from the "tradition" of evil... although at the end of the day he was robbed by the thief too.

D&D is about doing retarded misadventures with your buddies and trying to outsmart a DM by using whatever tricks you can to roll a natural 20. I don't think a movie with a serious plot can capture that.

Comment

Um, you just made a movie right there.
                      You're a tad too focused on an overall plot.
                      May I recommendation? Firefly. Damn good show. Why? The characters. The universe it's set in bites, and there isn't much there to it.
                      It was the characters that made it what is was.

You've just captured that.
                      Order of the Stick for the win.
                      There's a thin line between the definition of genius and insanity; I cross it all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragoncleric View Post
                        Um, you just made a movie right there.
                        You're a tad too focused on an overall plot.
                        May I recommendation? Firefly. Damn good show. Why? The characters. The universe it's set in bites, and there isn't much there to it.
                        It was the characters that made it what is was.

You've just captured that.
                        Order of the Stick for the win.
                        Citations of my two favorite obscure fandoms in the same post!

Comment

Eragon is also a novel written by a 15 year old who was influenced by harry pot head, star wars, dragons and just about every other thing related past-hence. Un-original.
                          Er, heh. But then I guess you all already know that. Shame the public didn't or they'd pat the kid on the head and go: That's an accomplishment you wrote a novel at 15. Now try for something original when you're older.
                          I'm not entirely sure, but I believe it was Shakespeare who said that all stories are unoriginal. They're all the same base matter that's just trussied up differently. Or it was something to that effect. It's largely the truth when you look at it. So.. you could basically pat any author in the past 100-200 years on the head and tell them 'that's nice, do something original next time'.
                          -Harbinger of Justice

Death:"Humans need fantasy to be human, to be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape."

Woman: "Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little--"

Death: "Yes. As Practice. You have to start out learning to believe the little lies."

Woman: "So we can belive the big ones?"

Death: "Yes. Justice. Mercy. Duty. Things of that nature."

Comment

Well.. I can agree on tha the movies that have come out that have the DnD mark on them arent the best in the world, far from it... but then again, not much of what is shown in the movies can be said "That screams so PnP". What I meant by that anything that comes from DnD is good is simply I think its an improvement, simply because there is an lack of movies/series and so on that people can say. "Shit, this is really sweet". After a while there will eventually come an director or something that will hit the jackpot and finaly get as close to how many percive DnD in Pen and Paper. LoTR in all glory had both a rich story and a certain Peter Jacksson and not to mention a ***** huge budget. The offical DnD movie had around 1 million if I remember correctly. Eragon I dont like..they simply are trying to make a movie from something that could have been good and ppush the story foward to rapidly. But hey, these are my thoughts on it all, not everyone agrees and not everyone disagrees, and thats what makes this world so full of flavor.

Rogue Player:
                            Ok, I'll tell you what. I'll give you one gold for every door you open here in Undermountain.

Fighter Player: Hmmm..you got yourself a deal

DM: *grins*

*Actual happening in PnP D&D*

Comment

Working...
                            X