News   About   FAQ   Statistics   Player Options   Downloads   Gallery   Forums   Donate   Wiki   Staff   Jobs   Links   Contact Us

Go Back   Sundren Forums > Neverwinter Nights 2 > Neverwinter Nights 2 General Discussion
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Neverwinter Nights 2 General Discussion General Discussion about Obsidian's Neverwinter Nights 2.

Subforum: NWN2 Scripting

Welcome to the Sundren Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 04-27-2008
Adventurer

Vavutsikarios will become famous soon enough
Parry, how does it really works

I thought that parry worked only when in parry mode. The truth is I 've never had a character with any ranks in parry, so I hadn't really checked it.

I was quite surprised when I created a fighter just to experiment on something and saw him parrying attacks while fighting normally.

So I have to ask, how does it really works? Is this some kind of bug? Should it work like that?
Was I really so foolishly ignorant for more than a year, never training the skill with any of my fighting characters?
Old 04-27-2008
Nobility

Deathmage is on a distinguished road
I think that normal Parry has something to do with the shield...though I'm not actually quite sure. I was surprised to see Peri parry too (heh, Peri parry).

Peri parried pickled peppers piled by Peter Piper!
Old 04-27-2008
Nobility

MKartMaster is on a distinguished road
I find that this offers a good explanation of how parry works.

Biggest thing about parry? It's broken. If you could parry all the attacks in a flurry, and maybe parry (non-magical) ranged attacks, it wouldn't be so broken.

But, since I have yet to see any monsters with 4+ attacks per round in Sundren, I don't think the flurry bug is all that bad. I tried a parry build once; I had about +17 parry at level 3.

Old 04-27-2008
Nobility

joker has a spectacular aura aboutjoker has a spectacular aura about
The Spittlefist Chief gets 4 attacks per round, since he is using a short sword in each hand. I counted one time as he was shredding one of my characters.

Corvus Corax - Tracker, Scout, Spy, and finder of lost shadows
Old 04-27-2008
Nobility

Deathmage is on a distinguished road
Hmm. Many times, I have been shot with an arrow, only to see the message *parried*. Is this just an exciting way of saying "missed", or has it something to do with the Parry skill?

I think it happens more often when I carry shields.
Old 04-27-2008
Legendary Hero

sharringtonm has a spectacular aura aboutsharringtonm has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
But, since I have yet to see any monsters with 4+ attacks per round in Sundren, I don't think the flurry bug is all that bad. I tried a parry build once; I had about +17 parry at level 3.
Come up to the cold climb with me. I'll introduce you to the Frosty's. I dare you to try out that elf lovin pansy ass parrying stuff on their 3 to 4 attacks per round.
Old 04-27-2008
Nobility

A quick google search turned up this. According to the 3rd post, the engine will show the "parried" message when an attack would have hit if not for your shield AC. Granted, it's for NWN1, but the facts all seem to line up still.

Old 04-27-2008
Legendary Hero

Machiavelli is a splendid one to beholdMachiavelli is a splendid one to beholdMachiavelli is a splendid one to beholdMachiavelli is a splendid one to beholdMachiavelli is a splendid one to beholdMachiavelli is a splendid one to behold
Parry seemed to work last time I checked... *Has memories of holding off 4 cartel bandits without getting touched*. I'm positive that was more than 4 incoming attacks per round, and my PC only had 4 (2 for each hand). I'm of the opinion that it's a very handy skill, especially if you have low AC, but you need a pretty high score to make it worthwhile.

One Leg Missin'
Meet the Feebles
Old 04-27-2008
Nobility

Ah, but did the Cartels have more than 4 attacker per round per enemy?

Against 4 enemies with 1 attack/round each, it'll work fine. But against 1 enemy with 4 attacks/round, you'll be facing flurries of (2attacks/1attack/1attack). When a flurry has more than 1 attack, parry breaks, because you are only able to parry the first attack of it.

Old 04-28-2008
Legendary Hero

rustediron has a spectacular aura aboutrustediron has a spectacular aura about
Lol, I remember Machi's parry skill too
How much was it, in the end?